The Prince's hand

After receiving invitations for Prince Aelor's hand from the daughters of lower lords, which were deemed bold considering the high status of potential matches for the young Prince, the King and his small council deliberated over the offers. 

Requests even arrived from magisters of the Free Cities and Dorne. However, among them, three offers stood out: Lady Laena Velaryon, daughter of Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys; Lady Alicent Hightower, daughter of the Hand and Lady Daenys daughter of Lady Rhea Royce of Runestone and Prince Daemon. 

*******

Exiting the small council chamber, Corlys summoned his wife from Driftmark, seeking her counsel and opinion on his intentions for the throne. Rhaenys arrived at King's Landing hours later on her dragon, Meleys, and joined her husband in his chamber.

Corlys poured them both some wine and gestured for Rhaenys to take a seat."So, Rhaenys, I assume you've heard about the developments regarding our cousin's proposal for Prince Aelor's hand. I wish to make an offer," Corlys began. 

Rhaenys, with a stern expression, replied, "You wish to offer Laena's hand to Prince Aelor? Let me guess, you seek to strengthen the Velaryon influence on the throne," she chuckled.Corlys responded, "The lords of the realm may have sworn fealty to Rhaenyra, but they won't stand for a usurpation of the King's firstborn son. With Laena as his wife, Prince Aelor's sons would have a better claim to the throne than any of Rhaenyra's children."

Rhaenys paused to consider before stating her opinion, "You must come to terms with the decision the lords have made, husband. I shall never rule, and neither will our son. However, despite my reservations about your ambition, I do believe Laena would be a suitable match for the Prince. They are close in age and share strong Valyrian blood. My cousin would be foolish to reject our proposal." Corlys smiled, sending the proposal before engaging in casual conversation with his wife. 

******

 In the Tower of the Hand, Lord Otto Hightower sat enjoying a glass of wine, reflecting on the day's small council meeting. Initially, he had hoped to have his daughter comfort the King, aiming for a marriage that would bring him a son and a contender for the throne. However, the King's decision had dashed those plans. 

 Otto couldn't help but feel shocked by the King's decision. He had anticipated a marriage that would secure his own family's influence, but now, the King had chosen to have his son, the true heir, wedded. Nevertheless, Otto saw an opportunity. The Prince's familiarity with his daughter could work in their favor. Amidst all the unfamiliar offers, a proposal from a dear friend might be welcomed by the Prince.He decided to offer his daughter's hand to the Prince, envisioning a marriage that would bring forth more princes and princesses into the realm. When the time came for the King's passing, his son-in-law would ascend the throne, backed by the faith and House Hightower. 

 With a satisfied smile, Otto sent the proposal and summoned his daughter. 

*******

 Upon witnessing the developments in the small council chamber, Prince Daemon immediately departed for the Vale on Caraxes.

Arriving at Runestone, he was greeted by his lady wife, Lady Rhea Royce, and their daughter, Princess Daenys Targaryen, who had grown into a beautiful young woman since he last saw her. 

 Rhea, as stern as ever, stepped forward with a judgmental look. "So, husband, I presume there's a reason for your sudden and unannounced arrival."Daemon smirked, "Yes, indeed. I assume you've heard of my brother's sudden wish for his son to be wed. I propose we put forward our own candidate for my nephew's hand," he said, looking at his daughter. 

"Oh, so you intend for our daughter to marry the Prince?" Daemon nodded. "Think about it, dear. There are no better options for our daughter. Besides, considering her status as a dragon rider, she deserves a husband of equal standing," he remarked, somewhat arrogantly.Daenys, seeing the tension between her parents, decided to intervene. 

"It's alright, Mother. I will go to King's Landing to court my cousin. It's been too long since I last saw Aelor, and I'm sure Selareys would love to meet Heatfyre."Daemon and Rhea exchanged a smile. Despite their disagreements, their daughter was the one thing that brought them together.