𝟬𝟭𝟬 Messed Up Minds

CHAPTER TEN
messed up minds

CHAPTER TENmessed up minds

❝I hate disloyalty. And he's disloyal.❞

SANYU arrives at the arena too late. The stands are empty, the match long over. Guilt gnaws at her for missing it, for leaving Korra behind. As she searches the empty grounds, she spots Bolin just outside, holding a bouquet of flowers, with Pabu sitting comfortably on his shoulder.

"Offi──I mean, Sanyu!" Bolin calls out, his grin wide and full of admiration. "I didn't think you'd make it, even though the match is over. Korra said you were busy."

"Yeah, I wasn't at first, but then I was," Sanyu replies with a wry smile. "I came with Korra to see your first match, but duty called. The Equalists are still out there, and it's dangerous for citizens, especially benders, so I had to leave before it even started."

Bolin nods understandingly. "Oh, right, right. You're a police officer, always busy," he says before motioning toward the dock. "Korra's up there if you want to see her, with, uh . . . Mako," he adds, his voice trailing off, as if bracing for a reaction.

Sanyu narrows her eyes, watching Korra and Mako argue on the dock, their raised voices and angry gestures cutting through the distance. Her breath catches in her throat when Korra, in the middle of a heated exchange, pulls Mako in for a kiss. Sanyu gasps, feeling like an unwitting witness to something she was never meant to see. She taps Bolin's shoulder, unwilling to bear the weight of the scene alone.

"What the actual fuck?" Sanyu whispers, her voice thick with disbelief. From afar, Korra's gaze snaps to them, her face paling with guilt, caught in the act of kissing someone who isn't hers to kiss. "Korra, what the actual fuck did you do?!"

Before Sanyu can confront the two, caught in their betrayal, Bolin breaks. His face crumples, tears welling up as he drops the flowers he'd been holding. Without warning, he turns and bolts, sobbing uncontrollably. Sanyu spins around, reaching for him, but he pulls away, his heartbreak pouring out with each tear as he runs, leaving her standing alone in the wake of his shattered world.

"Bolin, this isn't what you think!" Mako tries to explain, but then snaps at Korra, "Great, look what you did!"

Feeling insulted, Korra fires back, "You're blaming me?!"

"You kissed me!"

"You kissed me back!"

"ENOUGH!" Sanyu exclaims, her glare sharp enough to pierce through the tension. For a fleeting moment, Korra sees a flicker of fire in Sanyu's grey eyes, as if she were a firebender. "You two are both at fault!"