Chapter 3: First Gathering

Berrypaw and Poppypetal were now out on the training clearing, the sun was shining down on them warming Berrypaw's pelt as it started to set while they practiced her hunting skills, it has been at least a half moon since her brother died to the rouge attack, each night she had a dream in Starclan, she and her brother just talked and hunted sometimes. As she held her crouch her mentor was examining her. She kept her tail off the floor, her paws were neatly tucked in under her neck fur.

"Lower you back," Poppypetal ordered, Berrypaw quickly fixed her position so that her back was lower and her paws were neatly tucked in.

"Good! That's enough for today, Gemstar want you to be ready to go to the gathering with Pinkpaw." Poppypetal said, and then added. "Try catching a mouse on your way back, I'll be right behind you."

Berrypaw nodded and turned to the forest, as she entered the tree's shade she could feel her pelt cooling down from the heat making Berrypaw feel a bit better. As she walked back she took a detour to a place she knew would be housing a mouse and she was correct, there was a mouse rubbing its ears with it's paws, Berrypaw dropped into a hunting crouch making sure everything was perfected and waited till the mouse was unaware of her, the mouse continued to rub it's ears. Berrypaw knew that this was the perfect time and went for it leaping at the mouse, the mouse looked up in surprise as Berrypaw landed on the mouse and bit it's neck in a killing bite, she lifted her head with the mouse dangling in her jaws. She then ran back to camp the rest of the way hoping that she would still beat her mentor, as she approached the entrance Berrypaw skidded to a halt and looked at the camp, warriors who were leaving for the gathering were either waking up or eating. Berrypaw looked at her father, her father smiled at Berrypaw and jumped off his rock and grabbed a small rabbit which was her favorite.

"Nice catch Berrypaw! Take this rabbit, you deserve it." Hawkpounce said with pride, dropping the rabbit next to Berrypaw, Berrypaw set down her mouse and grabbed the rabbit nodding in thanks and walked over to her friend Pinkpaw who was finishing her mouse. Berrypaw dropped the rabbit and began eating it.

"Berrypaw! How was your day?" Pinkpaw mewed, tilting her head.

"Great! I think I mastered that crouch now..." Berrypaw mewed eating her rabbit, by the time she finished her rabbit it was time to leave, Berrypaw smiled softly at Pinkpaw and ran over to the patrol. Landing besides Slamonbeam a troteshell she and Furtail a cream she. As the patrol moved out they ran in the direction of the Great Crater as they approached the Pinkpaw ran past her in a challenging way Berrypaw pushed harder to beat Pinkpaw but as they neared the edge of their territory and saw the slope that lead into the Great Crater Pinkpaw stopped neatly and Berrypaw fell besides her. Berrypaw looked behind her to see both their mentors padding after them.

"Now, I need you two to behave yourselves. This is your first time here and you want to be presentable in front of the other clans don't you?" Dawnpatch said, looking at Pinkpaw and then to Berrypaw.

"We will! Common Berrypaw! Let's go meet the other apprentices!" Pinkpaw mewed and trotted down the slope as the rest of the clan caught up behind her. Berrypaw ran over to Pinkpaw so they would enter together. A sudden rush of insecurity pulsed through her fur as she realized that there was no other cat that had a purple pelt like hers. Berrypaw followed her friend as they walked over where the other apprentices were, Tumblepaw and Bearpaw were behind them. The other clans apprenticed looked at them with a smile or a curious face.

"Berrypaw and Pinkpaw, Meet Applepaw and Flowerpaw from Boulderclan, Ashpaw and Sparkpaw from Grassclan, and Mosspaw from Lakeclan." Tumblepaw said, flicking his tail at each cat.