Chapter 4: Glowing paws

Berrypaw raised her paw as her mentor charged at her, waiting for the right moment to test her attack, just as her mentor rammed into her she let her body go limp as she tumbled on the ground. She continued to play-died even after her mentor pinned her, then she swiftly used her hind legs to push her mentor into the air with success. Berrypaw quickly scrambled to her paws and tried something that she made up with Thunderpaw in her dreams last night. She ran after her mentor who was still in mid-air and lunged at her pushing her to the ground and pinning her. Berrypaw could tell that when Poppypetal hit the ground it knocked the air out of her when she gasped for air, she wasn't trying to kill her mentor but the move worked well.

"How was that?" Berrypaw asked, getting off her mentor so she could get up.

"It was great! I haven't even teached you that move you used at the end and you seemed to have mastered it!" Poppypetal paused to get a breath. "Did one of the older apprentices show you that move?"

Berrypaw was about to say she and Thunderpaw practiced it last night but she knew how mouse-brained that would sound.

"Erm... yah, Bearpaw and Tumblepaw showed me yesterday while Pinkpaw was gathering moss." Berrypaw said it was a lie but at least it kept a bigger secret.

"Well, you deserve rest, you must have been practicing all night! Grab something from the fresh-kill pile." Poppypetal said, and the two headed back to camp with barely a word. As they entered the camp Berrypaw could see her father ordering a patrol and once he was done Berrypaw ran over to her father and told him about her training today. She did this about everyday after training when he is not on a patrol himself.

"And then I leaped at Poppypetal to surprise her! And she was impressed!" Berrypaw concluded, Her father nodded with a soft smile.

"Sounds great! Now I believe you should take a rest and have some food as your mentor asked." her father said, Berrypaw nodded and then ran to the fresh-kill pile and grabbed a robin. She then trotted to one of her favorite sunning spots and laid there with her paws neatly tucked under her chest as she hungrily ate up the robin not realizing how hungry she was before. Berrypaw looked up from the robin she was eating and saw that Gemstar, Adderclaw, and Flameface were all talking, Adderclaw and Flameface were both elders, Berrypaw watched the elderly cats talk to each other glad that Gemstar was taking it easy as she lost a life just the other night at the gathering, Berrypaw's ear twitch and she saw Willowfrost walking over to her with a bundle of Mouse-bile, she seemed to be taking her place for apprentice duties, Berrypaw should be the one cleaning the elders ticks not the medicine cat! It was because of her move she used to impress her mentor that now Willowfrost was taking care of the elders instead of her. Berrypaw looked around for Fernpaw but realized that she must be gathering herbs or sorting herbs. Berrypaw stood up and padded over to Willowfrost, she knew she was supposed to be resting but she didn't want an older cat doing her job.

"Let me take that." Berrypaw said, stepping in front of Willowfrost.

"You're supposed to be resting! Your mentor said so." Willowfrost said and brushed past her with the mouse-bile.

"I don't care! You shouldn't be doing apprentice duties!" Berrypaw objected, running in front of Willowfrost.

"You really want to do this?" Willowfrost asked surprised.

"Yes! Now... my I please have the mouse-bile." Berrypaw said, asking for the bile politely.

"Fine here you go.." Willowfrost said, bending over so Berrypaw could grab the bile, Berrypaw gripped the mouse-bile in her jaws, the weird taste landing on her tongue, Berrypaw didn't show it and trotted over to Gemstar and the elders.

"Good afternoon Berrypaw, aren't you meant to be resting?" Gemstar asked kindly.

"Yes.. but I didn't want an older warrior doing my work.."

Berrypaw said, starting with Flameface as she used her paws to search for ticks. While the elders talked about whatever Berrypaw found a sparkle in his neck that led her to a fresh tick that seemed to have just gotten there not too long ago. Berrypaw pressed the bile against the bug and then shocked the bug to the ground so she could crush it with her paw, she moved onto Adderclaw who claimed to have something irritating the back of his ear. Berrypaw saw the same sparkle next to his ear and there it was, a tick that seemed to be at work. Berrypaw used her paw and claws to hold the bile while she reached for the tick, crushing it with her fangs and spat it out in the nearby wall where she could see years of apprentices cleaning ticks off the elders. Berrypaw then moved on to Gemstar, limping over with the bile in one of her paws.

"Gemstar would you like me-" Berrypaw started but was interrupted.

"Berrypaw! You're supposed to be resting!" Poppypetal called, there was a tint of anger.

"I'm fine sweetie you don't need to check me for ticks." Gemstar said.

"You sure?" Berrypaw asked turning to look at Poppypetal then to Gemstar.

"Yes, now you should listen to you mentor," Gemstar said kindly, Berrypaw nodded and walked past her mentor over to the Apperentice den. Berrypaw glanced upward to see what time of day it was and realized that the Sun with still pretty high over the trees, Berrypaw shock her head and then walked through the tree stump that led into the apprentice den, and there was her nest, the white feather was right were she left it in her nest, she ever took it outside afraid that she might lose it. Padding over to the nest she layed in a comfortable position with her paws under her chest and grabbed the feather closer to her to help her sleep, resting her chin on the feather Berrypaw closed her eyes, the tingling feeling on her paws again, being curious on what the tingling might be Berrypaw opened her eyes and raised her head. She saw nothing different until she flipped her paw to see her paw pads giving off a dim light blue glow from her paws. Interest sparked Berrypaw as she sniffed her paws, she recognized the scent immediately.

Starclan!

Berrypaw thought this was the scent that she smelled when she dreamed of Starclan each night! Berrypaw smiled and tucked the glowing paws under her chest again and this time closing her eyes to drift asleep. As darkness filled her vision a dark feeling filled her but she ignored it and fell asleep.