Chapter Eight: Damage Goods

Trigger warning: the very beginning of this chapter talks about bullying and unsettling topics. If these topics trigger you in any way, please feel free to skip.

FLASHBACK 2013

I was walking in the hallway of my school when I was slammed into a locker.......

"Hi, nerd. You know how I asked you to do my history paper?"Chase asked me smirking down at me.

"Yeah, I am almost done with it," I said weakly.

"Well, now I need you to write Ava's history paper too." He said tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I can't. On top of your paper I have to write mine I don't have time to also write your girlfriends."

"I wasn't asking you if you have time for I am telling you. Find time." He said patting my cheek before walking away. 

Once he was gone I could not help but cry. God, I hated Chase and Ava.

*********

I was sitting in the cafeteria writing Chase and Ava's papers when I felt something cold on my head. I quickly pushed my laptop away not wanting it to get wet and looked up to find Ava and her minions.

"Oh, I am sorry. I thought you were the trash." She smirked at me holding her empty cup in her hand.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I asked her getting up.

"What did you just say to me?" She said grabbing my hair.

" I said what is your problem."

"Looks like the nerd found her voice." She laughed as Chase walked over to us.

"What's going on here baby?"

"Little Miss Brookes over here just talked back to me."

"Oh really? How about we teach her a lesson then?" He asked her looking at me. I closed my eyes knowing what was coming next.

Here it comes...slap.

I felt the red mark on my cheek already as he dropped me to the ground. One hand rested on my throbbing face and the other one held me up on the floor. I looked up at Chase and Ava who were laughing with their friends as Ava picked up some food and threw it on me.

I closed my eyes upon the impact of the food hinting my face.

"Maybe now you will think before talking back to my girlfriend, "Chase said kneeling in front of me. I just nodded my head not knowing what to say.  They walked away leaving me cafeteria floor. I looked around to see all the other students just looking at me. I got up from the floor and packed up my bag running away from there.

Once I got out of the cafeteria I walked down the hallway to my locker where I just slid down crying. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? I closed my eyes as I  felt my hot tears roll down my face.

"Ry?"

I opened my eyes to find the soothing voice that always somehow calms me down. He stood towering over me. "Luke just leave me alone."

"Yeah, not happening. What happened?" He squatted down next to me, examining my face and arms. I felt Luke's hand in mine as he lifted me.

"Chase and Ava. I stood up to Ava because round water on me." I responded, closing my eyes to stop the tears that were threatening to leak from underneath my eyelids. Luke carefully and gently rubbed his thumb across the swelled part of my cheek and wiped away a tear, "Luke, I can't handle it anymore." I whispered, my voice weak.