𝐭𝐞𝐧

long chapter

Sean looks back, giving Cherry a look for the umpteenth time. She lies in the back of the trunk while Daniel sits near the front, giving her the space she may need. Her breathing is steady and even, except for the few times she hiccups. Sean never knew you could hiccup in your sleep. His eyes linger for a bit longer, scared that if he takes his eyes off her, she'll stop breathing or worse. The thought alone makes his stomach ache.

"I have some meds for her when she wakes up, don't worry," Brody says, gaining Sean's attention. "Had to get some teeth removed a few months back, and they just gave me a buttload of strong painkillers in case I needed them." Sean feels his shoulders at ease, happy to have one less thing to worry about.

"Thanks, man."

"Happy to help." He swallows roughly before taking in a deep breath. "I knew that guy was sketchy, but, Jesus, man."

"Why did he freak out on us?

"Good question, my friend. There are a lot of messed up people out there. You throw in a little racism, and hell breaks loose."

"Yeah. I don't think he was down with our last name."

  "Welcome to redneck land. This ain't Seattle no more."

  "Yeah. My Dad said there are more bigfoots out here than Mexicans."

"No doubt. People out here are more scared of you, your little brother, and your friend."

"This is nuts."

"Well, don't let it faze you, little dude. You're going to meet some amazing people on the road, too." Sean goes to respond, only to be interrupted by what sounds like a bark. Daniel tries to cover it up with a cough, failing miserably.

"What's under the blanket? I'm not stupid, Daniel." The boy tries to look innocent before sighing and pulling the blanket up, showing an adorable white and brown-spotted puppy. "Daniel," he sighs, rubbing his face tiredly.

"What? We saved her! We're heroes!" The puppy pulls away from the boy's grasp, moving around the car as much as possible before settling near Cherry's sleeping form. "Wait, puppy, don't—" The pup licks the teen's face before he can stop it. Cherry flinches before her eyes open tiredly. They blink slowly as the pup licks her once more. She simply moans and closes her eyes once more, rubbing her head in pain.

"I think I got my socks rocked by Mike Tyson," she grumbles, scrunching her face from the pain and the dog licking her.

"At least you're talking now," Sean sighs, smiling softly. "How you feeling?"

"Why the fuck is there a dog in my face?" She grabs it firmly but gently before lifting it in the air away from her. "Get your dog, Dani."

"How do you know it's mine?" Daniel whines, grabbing the dog from her.

"'Cause why the fuck would Sean want a dog?" The boy's face forms a soft pout, sadness in his eyes.

"So you don't want a dog either?" Despite the throbbing in her head, Cherry can hear the tone of his voice, making her sigh.

"I didn't say that. Ask Sean-y boy for me." She rolls over as best she can. "If he says no to the dog, I'll punch him in the throat." All Brody can do is laugh while Sean looks offended and slightly scared. Daniel looks back at his brother, a knowing grin on his face. All Sean does is let out a tired sigh before nodding his head.

"Yes!" He fist pumps into the air. "What should we name her, you guys?"

"Your dog, your choice," he shrugs while Cherry lets out a short groan. Brody looks over his shoulder at her.