Chapter 14: Detention

This is me trying~ Taylor swift

I sat through potions not bothering to ask any questions or trying to answer any knowing I'd be ignored as always.
Other than the dark hooded figures that feed on happiness that are standing at all entrances, everything else was normal, or as normal as things can be at Hogwarts. People were growing to love defence against the dark arts classes. By the third week, the whole class was able to perform the disarming charm. We then moved on to freezing Charm, Leg-locker curse and full body bind curse. It was easily one of the most fun classes we had. Except for yesterday's class, which was taught by Professor Snape instead. He said Lupin was sick but didn't say what was wrong with him, everyone hated it. Snape wasn't eager to help us perform the spells correctly, whenever someone messed up, he just barked at them to practice and not to come next class without perfecting it. Of course, in my case, he continued ignoring me. I had to resort to writing my questions on a piece of parchment so I could ask Professor Lupin about them later.

A few days ago, Conan had rushed to the Gryffindor table during breakfast to show me the daily prophet (his mom writes in the sports section so he gets the weekly subscription). The news was that Sirius Black had been sighted. A muggle saw him and called the police having seen him in the news.
"That place is not far from here," said Conan as he pointed at the address at which the muggle saw Black. "But there's no way he can get past the Dementors in Hogsmeade and around Hogwarts, is there?" I asked cautiously.
"Let's hope not, it would be very difficult to do so, wouldn't it?"
But turns out it wasn't so hard after all.

The Halloween feast was good as always, food was great. Sarah, Conan, Ginny and I made up some fake scary stories about all the scary things that might be in the forbidden forest, zombies, red caps, vampires and werewolves. Malfoy was still holding the 'Harry fainting on the train' bit, which was frankly getting boring and pathetic.
The feast finished with entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghosts. They popped out of the walls and tables to do a bit of formation gliding; Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost, had great success with a reenactment of his own botched beheading. The bloody Baron was just directing though, I wonder how he died, probably a curse because he didn't have any visible injuries.

I ate so much that I was ready to collapse, but when Ginny, Sarah and I reached the portrait, students were crowding around it. I heard a sharp voice saying, "Somebody gets Professor Dumbledore. Quick."
"What's going on?" Asked Ginny as we reached Harry, Ron and Hermione through the crowd. a moment later, Professor Dumbledore was there, sweeping toward the portrait; the Gryffindors squeezed together to let him through, I kept tiptoeing, trying to see anything, but I couldn't.
"Oh, my....." I heard Hermione say breathlessly.
"What? What's going on?" I asked still trying to steal a peek.
"It's.....The portrait" said Sarah who was tall enough to see above people's heads "It's gone, the fat lady is gone"

After peeves announced Sirius Black was the one that attacked the fat lady. Everyone panicked, shouts came from all over the place, and the portraits started yelling at each other in alarm. Professor McGonagall, Snape And Lupin, made their way into the crowd trying to calm us down. Not until Dumbledore bellowed "SILENCE" did everyone start to calm down a little.
He then sent all the Gryffindors back to the Great Hall, where we were joined ten minutes later by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin, who all looked extremely confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told us as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts."