Chapter 15: Train tracks

Past Lives~ sapientdream

       As the weather got colder and the Hogwarts grounds wore its white coat I got more excited about the holiday's approach, that was the first time in my life to feel that way. The genuine euphoria added to the promise of going somewhere in the holidays even if I'll go back to Hogwarts anyway, was all enough to improve my mood. Even Harry stopped whining so much about not going to the next Hogsmeade weekend, (I'm almost ninety per cent sure he found a way to go anyway). Blacks haven't been sighted or heard of since the Fat Lady incident. The Dementors were still lingering at the entrances, not that they were any use.

"Are you sure you're okay with it? I can stay, I mean I'm going back to Hogwarts anyway" I asked Ginny as we walked back to The Gryffindor Tower on the last day of the term, I was finally going to the walker's house tomorrow with Sarah and honestly, I couldn't contain my excitement.
"Sure you can, look at you, you're bursting to go," said Ginny with a smirk.
"No, I'm not," I said flushing a little.
"Don't worry about me, I'm a part of some complicated multitasked prank with Fred and George"
"You realize they give you useless tasks to make you feel like you're included, right?"
"Of course I do, I only fell for the 'go get your shoes and we'll take you with us' lie the first seventy-two times"
I chuckled as we reached the portrait, Ginny said the password.
"That's absolutely right, it is, fair lady, now are you skilled in the arts of duelling?" The fat lady had been replaced with Sir Cadogan who was hated by almost everyone but me.
"Well of course I am, respectable sir, how else do I survive my assigned quests" I said smiling as Ginny groaned.
"Aha, a true Gryffindor spirit, I then challenge you to a friendly duel"
"Well, I respect your challenge Sir Cadogan, but I have homework, let's postpone the duel then, I promise on my honour as a young maiden to meet your match"
"Very well then, you may enter as I will hold you to your promise"
I bowed with extravagant hand gestures and he swung the portrait forward and let us in.
"Please stay with Conan the whole holidays so I don't have to deal with that monologue every day"
"Come on, it's funny"
"Yes, really witty," said Ginny sarcastically.
"You're sure it's okay?"
"Yes, Emma, it's okay, besides, no offence or anything, but you're not really the potter I would miss"
"I have never been more offended in my entire life," I said slapping my hand on my chest dramatically, "just get over it, you can do so much better"
"You don't get it" said Ginny staring at her hands, having lost all sarcasm in her voice. I didn't get it, Ginny was smart and funny and unlike what I thought last year, she wasn't shy or scared, she could probably handle herself far better than I could, but she was still hung up on Harry. After everything that happened last year, she hadn't picked up the courage to even speak in front of him again. I didn't exactly hate the idea of them together, but I knew how thick he could be and I hated seeing how upset it made her sometimes.
"Don't get in trouble while I'm away" I said, changing the subject.
"No promises"

       I watched from the train window as snow fell on the few remaining leaves on the trees. I was really excited about leaving Hogwarts at the holidays. Harry had been really worried about it and kept telling me to not be alone and to always have my wand and a hundred other things that made it feel like Black was after me not him. But this morning I didn't even see him, now that I think of it I realise I haven't seen him since the rest of the third years went to Hogsmeade. I didn't want to worry about it so I just figured he was upset about not going to Hogsmead once more.

        For some reason, amongst the cheerfulness that had overtaken everyone, the train ride seemed far shorter than usual. We reached London before I knew it.
Mrs. Walker was waiting for us at the station, I hadn't seen her before now. She looked somewhat young, and had curly light brown hair and freckles, when she saw the three of us approaching she smiled widely and waved us over.
"Hi there girls, it's so great to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you two," said Mrs Walker cheerfully "Wait, you're Emma and you're Sarah, right?" She continued pointing at us.
"No mum, that's Emma and she's Sarah" said Conan putting his hand on my shoulder.
"It's so nice to meet you too, Mrs Walker," I said a little awkwardly.
After we exchanged greetings and Sarah, being the social butterfly she is, had started telling Mrs. Walker about all the little adventures we had last year, as she called for a muggle cab.