Chapter 21: A very bad nightmare

Riptide~ Vance Joy

   I took a bite of Harry's birthday cake As I started writing back to Remus

   I took a bite of Harry's birthday cake As I started writing back to Remus. Hedwig just got several letters in this morning. I didn't go down for breakfast; I had been locked in my room ever since I picked up a fight with Aunt Petunia yesterday. I was taking a different tactic this time, if I pick fights with her she'll get mad and let me lock myself in my room as long as I want. It wasn't that effective though because every time we fought I found myself staying up at night thinking about the way she said things or the way she would spin the situation or remind me of things in the past. And then keep spinning all night about how that's exactly what I do when I argue, it's my techniques, my ways, my faulty accusations...or more accurately, hers.
  But it still brought me a little peace to be locked in my room and not have to interact with them as much.

   I told Remus that I was doing alright and promised to try not to get in trouble. Gladly, he doesn't know I'm profusely trying to get in trouble and it should stay that way.
  The door suddenly burst open and Harry came in, "What are you doing?!" He asked, seemed slightly irritated.
  "Not eating your birthday cake," I said through a mouthful of a birthday cake.
  He groaned, taking the plate from me, "You just lock yourself in here and leave me facing the barrel"
  "What else is new" I shrugged, "was Uncle Vernon mad about Mrs. Weasley's letter?"
  "Of course he was, he yelled at me, then I had to...wait, how do you know Mrs Weasley sent a letter?"
  "Ron sent you a letter that I totally didn't read," I said, handing him an open letter from the desk.
  He snatched it from me. "For the last time. Stop. Doing. That" he snapped as he started reading the letter in turn.
  I ignored him and finished my letter to Remus, telling him about the Quidditch World Cup and that the Weasleys picking us up. I attached the permission slip that came this morning with it and sealed the envelope.
  "So are they okay with it or are we going to have to make up an escape plan?" I asked, knowing the answer already.
  "No, I convinced them"
  "You convinced them? How did you do that?!" I asked, surprised, then it dawned on me, "Oh, you used the whole 'my godfather is an escaped convict' thing again, didn't you?"
  "What! It works doesn't it?"
  "Yes, but you don't see me threatening to have Remus show up on a full moon every time someone slightly bothers me, now do I?"

  I teased Harry but I was really grateful that we're going without too much trouble, I wasn't that invested in quidditch but I was really excited. Sarah had already sent telling me that Amber had gotten them tickets. So did Conan and his mom.
So it seemed like it would be so much fun. I knew I would have to spend most of it listening to Ginny yapping about it, but I wasn't the least bit disappointed about that.
  Besides, leaving the Durselys this early in the summer is a blessing. My brain could take a break from its yearly torment by making me sure I'm my Aunt's younger version.

  The next day, I stumbled out of the fireplace in the borrow, choking on ash; I couldn't stop laughing at the sight I glimpsed just before I was pulled into the fireplace line.
  Fred pulled me to my feet with an excited look.
  "You two had something to do with it, don't you?" I asked in a hoarse voice, coughing a couple more times.
  "Of course we did, did it work?" Asked George.
  "Yes, it did," I said, grinning, "but it was disgusting, we have no idea how many things went on that tongue,  what was it?"
  "Ton-Tongue Toffee," said Fred brightly. "George and I invented them, and we've been looking for someone to test them on all summer. . . ."
  Everyone started laughing just as Harry swooped in from the fireplace.