22.

Mias POV:
Me and Theo did not speak for two whole days, yet he was always there, right behind me, his eyes burning a hole into my back with every step I took.

I was not going to get myself into another mess. I was leaving one agreement for another and at least this way Theo would keep his job and I could live somewhat normally back home.

Not to mention the wonders it would do for our country, finally having me married, locked up in the palace, kept out of the clubs and the newspapers for that matter.

My life was far from normal. It had never been normal. But marrying Theo was my best option and I was running out of time. It just made things complicated, the way my heart sped up every time I caught him looking at me.

And he was always looking.

'Dinner is ready, ma'am.' A man in a suit said, standing at the far end of the table, before stepping aside to allow kitchen staff to flood into the dining room, filling the table with food, placing a plate infront of each of us.

'So? Are you ready to travel home tomorrow or should I leave you here?' My brother asked me, a devilish look in his eye.

'Shouldn't we wait for the Prince?' I asked, noticing everyone was beginning to eat and ignoring my brother.

'He shall be late.'

'How so?' I responded, putting my cutlery down.

'Just eat, princess.' Theo warned from besides me.

'Enough from you. What has happened?' I asked, addressing Theo quickly before turning my attention back to the man at the end of the table.

'I'm afraid the king has made a surprise visit. He wanted to speak to his son alone.' He responded.

I stood up, excusing myself from the table and trying to shake the look on my brothers face, heading from the dining room and out towards the garden where I could hear shouting.

'And if she is infertile?' I heard the king say, speaking to his son, most definitely about me.

'What leads you to believe she is?'

'A woman does not conduct herself so disgracefully if she expects to rule, or have a line of successors. She could ruin our whole entire nation.' He hissed.

Theo was no longer behind me, he was in-front, standing and staring at both the king and his son, letting them know they had very much been heard.

'Is anything the matter?' Evan asked, looking at him in a confused state.

'Theo. Go inside.' I said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

I felt his body stiffen slightly, but he did not move, staring between them both, waiting for me to speak.

'Was my capability to birth an heir really so important it couldn't wait until the morning?' I asked, bowing slightly to the king, out of slight respect, not as if he'd had any for me.

'Ma'am, I understand this seems somewhat, catty. It is my mistake for not taking this conversation somewhere private.' He said, looking from me to my bodyguard.

'Evan, everyone is waiting for you.' I stated, watching his father with close inspection as the prince turned to head inside, giving me his deepest apologies as he did so.

'Might I remind you, your majesty, that this deal is no longer in your hands. This is between me and your son. Everyone would find it weird if they saw how invested you were in your sons marriage, wouldn't they?' I asked, turning my attention for a slight second to Theo, who had lit a cigarette and was leaning against the wall, carelessly smoking it.