15.

Mia's POV:
He was infact there the next day, and for a week following our kiss I barely uttered a word to him. Not from hatred or regret, but from embarrassment and worry that he felt the way that I believed I should.

I should've been disgusted and horrified that my bodyguard had kissed me. But instead, it thrilled me, gave me a hunger that I did not have before. It excited me.

Theo, however, did not try and spark conversation any more or less than he had before. He was still the same. Cold hearted, rude, sarcastic. It was me who has changed. I was more cautious around him, seeking time for us to be alone but never acting on it.

I was sure he could see right through me, but he was yet to act on my strange behaviour.

'It's a black tie event, Mia, you can't wear that.' My brother warned, looking at me as if I had asked to attend naked.

'What do you want me to wear, exactly?' I frowned, looking at my dress in the mirror.

Granted, it was just sitting at my knees, but I did not see a single problem with it.

'A floor long dress, Mia. How about that dark red one you got a few years ago.' He shrugged.

I froze. That dress I had been gifted from my father on my birthday and had been the dress I'd worn the day the duke pushed me too far. He was right, though. I had no other choice but to wear that dress.

He had fired my tailor just days before for reasons not known by anyone, and my stylist was out of town.

I nodded, heading upstairs and frowning when I felt Theo following me.

'You've been ignoring me.'

'We just haven't had a reason to speak.' I shrugged.

'We never had a reason to speak before but you still made sure we did. What happened to keeping it civil?' He pushed.

'We are civil.'

'Just talk to me.' He sighed.

I span to face him, stopping outside of my door and clutching the handle. I was already stressed about this event, and I was even angrier that I had to wear the dress. I didn't want him to push me because I was close to snapping.

'Mr Samuel. Go away.' Was all i could muster.

'We need to talk about what happened that night.' He began.

'It was a mistake and I've already forgotten it. I get it. It was unprofessional and you want to move on. Me too, now please leave.' I said, hurriedly.

'I'm glad you're on the same page.' He said, his tone a little sarcastic, his eyes moving to look at the floor.

'Look.' I sighed, leaning against the doorframe and opening my door ajar, letting him know that what I was to say next would be the end of our conversation.

'I was unwell, you made me feel better. It was a spur of the moment thing, a misunderstanding between our heads and our mouths and it's ok, please don't mention it again.' I rambled.

'Got it.'

'Youre being really blunt for someone who doesn't care.' I huffed.

'For someone who claims to know me, i thought you would have grasped my personality by now.' He responded, coldly.

'Yeah, boring.'

He waited for me to step inside, before slamming the door on me. Leaving me in my room alone, and him stood outside of the door. I knew that it was a barrier to prevent him from punching me in the face but i was sure that i needed it more than him.

I hated him.

I put on the dress and messed with my hair a little, waiting a while in the hopes that my bodyguard would have left by the time i decided to leave my room. He hadn't.

I walked right past him and down the steps to the front door, my brother giving me a small nod of approval before walking ahead of me to the car.

However, the car door was closed in my face and i was led to another. Theo's.

'Why cant i go with my brother?' I frowned, asking the doorman who was clearly only following orders.

'Theo has requested that both royals do not travel together anymore, your majesty. He is insistent on driving you himself.' He said courteously.

'Of course he is.'

I got into the back of Theo's car in silence and watched as he got into the drivers seat, turning and frowning when he noticed i was in the back and not besides him.

Despite this, he didn't say anything.

We were attending a ball. It had been organised months ago by my brother and the chairman of the local animal shelter. It was our first royal event since my fathers passing, and my first with Theo.

'How are you feeling?' Theo asked, breaking the silence and almost making me jump a little.

'Fine.'

He looked at me in the mirror with raised eyebrows but kept his lips firmly closed. Not wanting to tell me that he knew I was lying.

'What is this about you insisting on driving me to royal events?' I questioned, my voice hoarse out of questioned.

'It is merely the same reason you and the king cannot fly together. You're both targets and you cannot be in the same vehicle in case of accident.' He said, keeping it professional when he was essentially hinting i was in danger.

'Has something happened?' I asked, slowly.

'Nothing I can't handle, princess. Please, enjoy yourself today and i shall deal with the rest.' He insisted.

He was lying.

'What is going on, Mr Samuel?' I asked, firmer this time, watching as he squeezed his hand slightly against the steering wheel.

'We shall speak when were home, okay?'

'I do not want to enter a public event knowing im in danger.' I huffed.

'As long as you do as I tell you, you're in absolutely no danger.' He responded, looking back at me again.

'You know I love to ignore your advice.' I bit back.

'This isn't advice, princess. It's an order.'

'If this danger is so great, why can't you tell me about it? Surely it'd be better if I knew what I was looking for.' I argued.

He sighed, realised I'd backed him into a corner he couldn't escape from. We arrived at the venue and he locked the doors, stopping the car and turning to face me.

'Your father knew about the duke all along.'

I froze. Surely he was lying.

'How do you know? Why are you looking into me?' I asked defensively.

'Look. We're late.' He responded.

'You cannot sit here and accuse a dead man of such a thing.' I responded, pulling on the door handle and waiting for him to open it.

He didn't.

'Mia.'

'Don't call me that.' I said, angrily.

'The duke is here tonight. You are not to leave my side at all, do you understand? The prince is here, too. You are not to speak to either of them without me around.' He said harshly.

'Why? Might I say something wrong?' I asked.

'I want to make sure I catch both of their final words.' He responded, unlocking the door and walking around to take my hand, holding it firmly and not even letting go once we'd entered the venue.