Chapter 11: Collaborations and Covert Operations

To your relief, Thomas arrives soon enough and saves the day. You and Rafayel spent the past thirty minutes pretending to watch the movie, but end up playing glancing games with each other. You could almost combust with the awkwardness, but hung on to the last second until the doorbell rang.

"You two look surprisingly fine," Thomas said as he walked into the living room. "I thought you guys would look more hungover."

"I can't believe you left me in the middle of the road last night," Rafayel protests. "I could have gotten run over!"

"Stop being so dramatic, we weren't in the middle of the road, we were already on your private island!" Thomas says. "And how could you possibly get run over? Literally no other cars can enter the gates of your art studio."

"Thomas was carrying me inside first, in case you didn't remember," you reminded him.

"Hmph, you could have at least left me somewhere more humane instead of the road," he sulks.

"Yeah, yeah. Anyways, eat up, the soup's getting cold!" Thomas says. "I even brought you guys hangover medicine."

"Thomas, why do I feel like you're our parent?" you joked.

Rafayel laughs. "You're so right!"

"You're both lucky to have me," Thomas said.

"Well, actually, it's kind of your fault that I got drunk in the first place," you said.

"...Right," Thomas said.

"Thomas, I realized I never asked you. What's your Evol?" you asked.

"Patience," Thomas answers.

"Huh?"

Rafayel snorts out a laugh. "He's joking. He doesn't have one."

"I do," Thomas rolls his eyes. "Patience to deal with you, especially. It should be considered a superpower at this point."

It was your turn to snort out a laugh. Rafayel pouts at him, then opens his mouth to retort.

"Guys, just be quiet and eat!" Thomas scolded.

You and Rafayel eat the soup, and slowly, your throbbing head and symptoms begin to fade.

After eating, you start picking up the dishes and wiping the table. As you bend forward to wipe, unbeknownst to you, your low-cut tank top exposes your cleavage to Thomas, who's standing right across to help pick up the dishes. Unwittingly, his gaze flicks in the direction of your chest.

Rafayel was not having any of this. Instantly, he shoots his palm up to Thomas' eyes and covers them.

"Ahem!" Rafayel scolds Thomas with a cough.

"Yo! I didn't mean to!" Thomas yelps, backing away.

You look up confused, wondering why Thomas was suddenly marching away while Rafayel was angrily fuming after him. Then, Rafayel turns around and shoots you a sulky look. He looked like he was going to tell you something, but decided against it.

"Hey, do you guys want coffee?" you asked. "I'm gonna make some."

"Oh, yes please!" Thomas lights up. "I'll help you."

Just as Thomas was about to turn towards you, Rafayel put himself between you and Thomas, effectively blocking his path.

"It's alright, I can help her," Rafayel asserts, forcing a smile. "You're a guest in my house, just sit down and chill over there."