THIRTEEN

C A R L I S I A N N

A week had passed since my flames managed to get passed the barrier my necklace had created and in that week Ghalen and I were still trying to comprehend how something like this could have happened because we were under the impression that the necklace would be able to handle every and anything that attempted to knock on my walls with the intention of breaking it down, but clearly we were wrong.

Despite this bringing me anxiety it didn't compare to the weighing feeling that appeared with the reality that today was my engagement party.

"You both really brought our ideas alive, the dress looks amazing and it fits perfectly," I commented with a grateful smile as I looked at myself inside the mirror that was located in my room while Kamilah and Efia fixed what needed to be fixed.

"It was our pleasure to make it." Kamilah expressed just as someone knocked on my door in an attempt to grab my attention.

"Come in." I instructed the person and the door soon opened to reveal a maid who held a box that was constructed from gold, "What's that?"

"Prince Amanté sent a few of his men to retrieve your crown a couple of days ago so that you could wear it today, he also placed your engagement ring inside." She announced while stepping in front of me before resting the box in my outstretched hands.

Hearing Amanté's name surprised me because I knew there was no way he did this gesture out of the kindness of his heart, in fact, I knew his parents had something to do with it...they had to, and speaking of Amanté I hadn't seen him in a week even though we had made a deal that he'd teach me the dances required for this event, but luckily Ghalen and Layne were well acquainted with said dances.

"Thank you. You are dismissed."

The maid curtsied before hurrying out of my room while I pulled the box open to meet the sight of a golden crown that harboured red rubies that could put diamonds to shame as it twinkled in the light the chandelier provided.

The matching ruby ring inside the box was stunning, as it had me questioning the beauty of my crown since its appearance was simple, yet it had a distinctive look that could draw you into a slaughter and you wouldn't even realise because the gem was holding your senses hostage.

"For the ceremony, you must wear a veil that Prince Amanté will remove for the first dance. The same goes for him." Efia informed me and I already knew this since Layne and Ghalen had been telling me all about the ball during our dance lessons.

"Do you have a colour in mind?" I questioned them and gained smiles in return as they both shared a look.

"Of course, your highness."

-

After placing my crown upon my head, slipping on my ring and choosing my veil, I was allowed to leave my room and meet the sights of Ghalen, Ezra and Layne.

"How do I look?" I inquired and they all moved to speak, but someone beat them to the punch.

"You look absolutely ravishing." The person complimented me and I faced them with a frown, that I couldn't hide no matter how hard I tried because the hatred that formed it ran deep.

"I suddenly despise the dress." I retorted and he released a light chuckle as he held out his hand for me to take.

"Let me escort you to the ballroom." Amanté requested with a soft smile that I was able to see through his veil—it only made my frown deeper.

"I'd rather di—" I began, though the sight of Kesis approaching us had me placing my hand in his, which caused my dress to turn blue and his suit to turn red.

"How is that possible?" Ghalen inquired, showcasing his shock.

"He asked the designer to make the clothes change colour whenever we touch," I elucidated as Kesis entered our vicinity.

"There you both are. Are you ready?" Kesis questioned us and we answered her ask with a nod, "Good, let's go then. We cannot keep your guests waiting any longer."

Kesis turned on her heel and began walking toward the party and my companions, Amanté and I immediately followed her.

"Such a quick change in mood, I shall bring my mother to dinner and see how you treat me." He whispered in my ear, and the heavy feeling of vexation that had been sitting on my brows before returned at the mere sound of his voice.

"That's if you can find it in yourself to show up for dinner," I retorted, hinting at one of the things he did that was bothering me.

"I figured you'd see my absence as a blessing, considering the fact that you do not like me very much."

"As freeing as it was. I missed your company."

"In other words, my parents began to notice my absence?" He asked me and received a slight nod.

"Yes and that raised questions I didn't want to answer." I confessed, not a big fan of his efforts to avoid me because of the consequences that came with it.

"Don't worry, I shall explain to them what happened."

"And what happened? What possible reason could you have for abandoning me without a word?" I inquired, glancing at his veiled face after the sight of big blue doors entered my eyes, announcing that we were a minute away from our destination.

"Look, I—"

Amanté wasn't given the chance to finish his statement because we were now stopping before a big door that was pushed open by guards, permitting us to catch the sight of a ballroom filled with guests that were all staring at me.

I swallowed hard as anxiety slowly crept into my skin because this was the first time I had attended an event since the death of my parents, so I wasn't exactly used to this part of being royalty anymore.

"Queen Kesis of Lvaiekia." The announcer shouted through a device of some sort that allowed his voice to travel throughout the room with ease so everyone knew when it was time to bow or curtsy in respect.

The crowd parted to make way for Queen Kesis because her throne and Marin's were on the other side of the room.

"Come on." Amanté ushered me inside the room as he took his hand from mine to rest it around my waist, I stiffened at his touch but soon forced myself to look relaxed in his hold.

"Prince Amanté von Lvaiekia de la Tapaliem and Queen Carlisiann von Sejlky de la Zamá."

I forced back my nervousness as we walked inside the room allowing every eye to prey upon us in curiosity and envy.

"We are supposed to go towards my parents' thrones and—" Amanté began explaining while we walked past the crowd of people that made way for us, but I didn't give him the chance to finish.

"Kneel before them and publicly ask for their blessing to marry in Naylope. I got someone else to help me with the preparation for this party." I finished for him and he stole a look at me.

"I was never the one who told you to find someone new." He reminded me as we slowly walked up the stairs that led up to his parents who sat on their golden thrones.

"You didn't have to tell me, I wasn't going to beg you to come teach me something you promised you would nor was I going to stick around waiting for you to show up, and I was right not to because you clearly weren't going to." I whispered, and he didn't respond because we had to break away to kneel before them, causing my dress and his suit to shift back to their original colour.

I wasn't surprised when I heard gasps of shock behind us.

-