Butterflies

Jules had just finished her day at nursing school and entered Diesel's apartment. As she walked in, Mouthpiece, who was sitting on the couch, waved at her. "Oh hey, Jules," he said.

Diesel came out of the room and greeted her, "How was your day?"

To which Jules replied, "It was fine, he was watching me again." She put her purse down on a sturdy end table.

Mouthpiece asked, "Riff?" Diesel rolled his eyes and said, "No, the president."

Jules sat down on the couch with a huff and exclaimed, "He refuses to be with me, then stalks my every move!"

Mouthpiece tried to reassure her, "He still cares for you, Jules."

Jules shot him a glare and replied sarcastically, "Oh yes, because I leave everyone I care for out to dry to raise my child alone."

Diesel interjected, "I'm not condoning his actions. But you know that he had a rough childhood, that his own father was abusive."

"But that is not Riff! Riff would never do that!" Jules protested.

"Maybe he believes that's how all men in his family act once they are married. Like a curse or something," Mouthpiece shrugged.

"Where'd that smartness come from?" Diesel asked Mouthpiece, who responded with a shrug.

Jules was lost in thought for a moment when a fluttering sensation came from her stomach. She stopped, trying to figure out what it was. It happened again, and Jules realized what she was feeling.

She stood up quickly, startling Mouthpiece and Diesel. "I need to go see Val, don't stay up for me," Jules lied, grabbing her bag and leaving the apartment.

As Jules left the apartment, the two boys inside were shocked at her sudden desire to leave. She walked down the sidewalk with a clear sense of purpose and held her head up high. She knew where she was going and what she wanted to say. Jules walked to her apartment, and as she approached the door, she took a deep breath before pounding on it. After a few moments with no answer, she rustled around in her purse, finding her key, and unlocked the door to step inside.

Jules was immediately shocked at the state of the apartment. There were empty alcohol bottles scattered around the apartment, and it was clear that Riff had been going through a rough patch. She put her purse down on the counter and walked around the apartment looking for him. As she walked past one of the rooms, she noticed that the window was open. Curious, she slowly, and quietly approached the window and peered out. That's when she saw Riff sitting on the rail, looking out onto the city.

Jules stepped through the window and slowly approached Riff, noticing that he was smoking. He seemed surprised to see her and asked, "What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk Riff," Jules replied, determined to have the conversation they needed to have.

He turned to her and hopped off the railing to stand in front of her. "I will not marry you," he said, laying out the truth.

"I have heard that you don't wish to marry me. That you want me to go. That you do not want to see me. What I have not heard is that you do not love me. I have been suffering and alone and believing I am a failure because you stay from me as though I am a disease. And then today, it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps there is another reason. A better reason. Perhaps you stay away from me because you care for me. Perhaps you stay away because you love me. Do you love me?" Jules asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"I'm trying to protect you," Riff responded, his voice pained.

"Do you love me?" Jules persisted, wanting an honest answer.

"I...I cannot. We cannot...this conversation is...I can't do this," Riff said, smoking his cigarette again.

"Do you love me?" Jules asked again, her eyes locked onto his.

"Jules. Please, stop!" Riff pleaded, looking away.

"Is it because you do not believe that I could love you? I do. I love you, Riff. I love you so much that I will do as you wish. If you do not love me, say you do not love me, and I will go. And we can live our separate lives, and I will have this baby alone, and I will make do and fill my days and survive—all on my own. I will do that. But first, you have to say that you do not love me. You have to tell me that I am utterly alone in this world," Jules said, her voice breaking with emotion.

"I am a madman. I am a danger," Riff said, his voice low and full of pain.

"Do you love me?" Jules asked again, her eyes never leaving his.

"You do not wish a life with me for yourself. No one wishes that," Riff said, his eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Riff! You are the bane of my existence and the object of all my desire. Do you love me?" Jules said, her voice stronger now.

"I love you! From the mo...from the moment I saw you in Doc's when we was kids...I have loved you desperately. I cannot breathe when you are not near. I love you, Jules. This darkness is...is my burden," Riff finally admitted, the weight of his words hanging heavy in the air.

"You are not your father! You will not be your father!" Jules said, reaching out to grab his hand. But he pulled away. She reached out again, this time with force. She grabbed his hand and put it on her abdomen. She felt the fluttering situation of the child in her moving, and Riff looked at her with wide eyes.

"This is your child, our child. And I am begging you, Riff, do not leave us," Jules said, her voice soft and pleading.

Tears brimmed in his eyes as he realized the gravity of the situation. His hand left her stomach, and he softly grasped her face, pulling her forward and passionately kissing her. They had each other, and that was all that mattered.