Making Amends

Julieta and Val were sitting together, enjoying the warm summer breeze. Julieta was fidgeting with her hands, trying to find the right words to say.

"Val?" she finally spoke.

"Yes, Julieta?" Val replied, her voice soft and kind.

Julieta took a deep breath and said, "Me and Riff are getting married, since, well... you know..."

Val nodded in understanding. She knew what Julieta was trying to say. She gently placed her hand on Julieta's shoulder and said, "You're pregnant. Not saying it out loud isn't going to make it less real."

Julieta's eyes filled with tears as she nodded. "I know," she said. "But I still can't wrap my mind around it. It moves now." She placed her hand on her stomach as if to reassure herself.

Val smiled and placed her hand on top of Julieta's. She felt a small kick. "That's an active baby," she said, her eyes sparkling.

Julieta smiled, feeling a sense of relief wash over her. "Yeah, the little ankle biter doesn't stop," she said, a small laugh escaping her lips.

Val looked at Julieta with a mixture of pride and warmth, "I'm happy for you, Julieta. Even though I know this wasn't your plan. You are going to make a wonderful mother and a wonderful wife."

"Thank you, Val," Julieta replied, feeling grateful for her friend's support. "Can I ask you a favor?"

"Of course, Julieta," Val replied, eager to help her friend.

"Will you give me away?" Julieta asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Val was taken aback. She looked at Julieta in surprise. "Are you sure, Julieta?" she asked, wanting to confirm.

Julieta nodded firmly. "Yes, you are the closest thing I've ever had to a mother, Val. I wouldn't want anyone else," she said, a small smile appearing on her face.

Val felt her heart swell with emotion. "Of course, Julieta. It would be my honor," she said, her voice filled with pride.

As I sat on the couch, I tossed around trying to find a comfortable position. Suddenly, a knock came from the door, and I slowly got off the couch to check who it was. It was Val, holding a box in her hand.

"Hi Julieta, may I come in?" Val asked me with a warm smile on her face.

"Of course, Val. What's in your box?" I asked her curiously.

"It's a gift," she replied with a sad smile.

"A gift? Val, you really didn't need to do that," I protested.

"Nonsense, Julieta. This is my wedding present to you," Val said, opening the box and pulling out a wedding dress.

"Val!" I exclaimed, covering my mouth with my hands in shock. "No, Val, I can't-"

"You are going to wear this dress, Julieta," Val interrupted me gently.

"It's beautiful, Val," I said, admiring the dress in awe.

"You will look beautiful in it," Val said with a reassuring smile. "As I'm sure did you."

Val smiled at me, but her expression soon turned serious. "Now you will have to get it altered by Anita, but-" She stopped when she saw the look on my face. "Julieta, she is not mad at you."

"You don't know that, Val. I haven't seen her since...since-" I trailed off, not wanting to finish my sentence.

"Julieta, she's family, as is Maria. Go see them," Val said firmly, trying to encourage me.