Boys Covered in Paint

One year later. After graduation, I established a daily routine that I followed every morning. My mornings started with making breakfast for my father before leaving for work, then I would get ready and head to Doc's. As I hurried towards Doc's, I was eager to chat with Val before the Jets arrived at the store. Despite my confusion as to why Val allowed them to hang around, I knew that she was always kind to everyone. The familiar ring of the bell welcomed me as I opened the door, and I greeted Val with a smile. "Buenas Dias, Val! ¿Cómo esta?"

"I'm doing alright." Val replied.

Sighing, I asked, "Have you had any Jets bothering you this morning?"

"Some of them just walked out to join Riff. That boy is going to kill them," Val replied.

"I hope you're wrong about that. How's Tony?" I inquired.

"Why don't you go ask him yourself, hija?" Val suggested.

I walked over to the door and gave it a knock. "Come in!" Tony's voice boomed from the other side.

As I walked down the dusty stairs, Tony asked Val, "Do you want the Reese's and the Hershey's to go upstairs?"

Val nodded, and I took the opportunity to sneak up behind Tony. I yelled, "Boo!" and poked his back, causing him to yelp and turn around, ready to fight.

"You wouldn't hit a girl, would you, Tony?" I teased, laughing and smiling.

"Jules, never do that again," he said with a smirk.

"You're just a big scaredy-cat, Tony," I joked with him.

"No, I ain't! I just don't like people sneaking up on me." Tony poked at my sides and tickled me, causing me to laugh and say, "Ay, Tony!"

He then asked, "How's your dad doing?"

"He's okay. He's upset that I won't let him return to work yet."

He replied, "Hey, at least he's healing."

I agreed, "Yeah, I'm grateful for that. How's work going?"

Before he could answer, we heard a yell from upstairs. "Julieta!"

"We can finish this later," I said, and Tony replied, "Okay, Jules."

As I ran up the dusty stairs, I called, "Coming, Val!"

Val said, "Ah, Julieta. Will you watch the shop while I go take Pablo his crate?" She pointed to the wooden crate sitting on a nearby table.

"I can take it to him for you, de nada," I offered.

"Are you sure, hija?" Val asked.

I replied, "Sí, I'll be fine, Valentina."

Val warned me, "Fine, but be careful of those boys!"

"I always am, Val," I reassured her, picking up the crate and walking down the sidewalk, enjoying the quiet streets as a soft breeze blew through my hair.

Suddenly, I spotted them - the Jets. They were strutting down the street with Riff at the front. I rolled my eyes and continued walking until I reached Pablo's store.

As I strolled in, I greeted Pablo, "Hola, Julieta!" and set the crate down on the counter.

"Gracias, Julieta. ¿Cómo está tu Papi?" Pablo asked.

"He's doing well, gracias. ¿Y tú?"

"Bien, bien."

"Buenas Dias, Pablo!" I said, walking outside as the door shut behind me.