Chapter 4

The Darkling was hugging me.

I went rigid. I felt blood trickling down my arm making me want to scratch at the irritation. The bright light quickly faded. Soon the room was shrouded in low candlelight and darkness.

"Now, how much are you going to give me for the girl." Rat interrupted.

The Darkling let go of me and looked venomously at Rat. "Rat was your name, correct? I would believe it's self anointed. So tell me," he glared at her. "what were to happen if I cut your weak little body in half, and place your the two halves of your severed head on stakes outside the walls so when your friends come to see why you never returned, they'll know why."

Rat's eyes slowly widened as the Darkling spoke. I could almost see her trembling. It didn't matter to me if she died, her life wasn't important to me. It's another rule I learned on the street:

keep yourself alive at all costs.

"I-I'll leave shortly, umm, sir..."

She took a step back as the Darkling spoke up quietly,

"Get out."

Rat turned and ran.

She didn't even look back. Why was she so scared of....

Nevermind.

The Darkling turned back to me, his emotions hidden except for a tear that was falling down his face.

"Promise me." He said looking at my feet.

"Promise what?" I barely spoke a whisper but my voice reverberated throughout the room.

The Darkling suddenly took on a clouded look.

"You'll learn soon enough. Kelvin, come here."

Suddenly the steward was beside the Darkling.

"Take her to the sun summoners quarters. Tomorrow, bring her to me at 10:00. See that she has been fitted by then."

Wait what? I didn't understand. This was the Darkling I'm supposed to be...

Dead? Like us?

Shut up, were not supposed to mention it.

Guys....

What? Talk to me, what do you mean your dead.

The next thing I knew I was walking up a 4th flight of stairs. That did not exit to a floor of rooms, there was one door at the end of the hall. It was White Oak carved with designs of different animals, inlaid onyx stone in the carvings, and above it all, the sun next to a moon in eclipse. I was suddenly pushed through the doors and told to stand straight up and hold my arms out. The person telling me to had a measurement string/ruler thing.

Is this the fitting the Darkling mentioned.... I suddenly remembered his warm embrace. His arms were strong. Gentle, like he was an actual person. So different from the cold in his voice before. No the Darkling is hundreds of years old. I must be hallucinating.

He's older than you think.

What? Then how old is he?

It was the presence again, it felt heavy and deep like some unfinished ending. Like they had knowledge beyond anyone else.

She won't answer, she can't.

What? I don't understand. Who is she?

No answer came from my head. What was I insane? No I couldn't possibly be, these people have been with me since I was little; advising me on how to treat people, how to defend myself, how to steal and not get caught.

But would they help me with this? Should I have not let the Darkling touch me?

I pushed the thought to the back of my mind, deciding to instead explore my new quarters. The room I was in now was like a little waiting room. There were two doors at both sides of the room. Well choose the right. I walked through it to see a personal library. I was awestruck at the amount of books that lined the room with expensive and comport able furniture scattered throughout it.

I felt sad as I stared at fancily decorated spines of all those books, and wondered if I would learn how to read here.

I continued into the next room. It was a closet. It was empty though. Still cool I guess. It had two doors not including the one I entered through. I peaked through the first one. A whole bathroom. It looked amazing there were servants standing to the side waiting to help me, with what in the bathroom I knew not, and the bath was drawn, hot steam rose off of the surface welcoming me.

"Um....." I looked at the servants and they directed their attention to me, "could please leave for a moment? I would like to bathe privately."

They all exchanged questioning looks then bowed slightly and filed out of the room. I quickly stripped free of my ragged clothes. My mother had gone on for whole stories of how wonderful baths were, and now I could believe her.

As I thought of here I felt my feelings quickly drop. I hope she's okay.

As I emerged into the warm water it was like nothing I've ever felt before. Except for maybe the feeling right after I killed someone but didn't know about it. I suddenly remembered his decapitated body and a shiver ran down my spine. I pushed the thought out of my mind and submerged my whole self under the water.

I came up a few seconds later for a breath, the proceeded to brush out my hair. The water helped brush out years of snarls and dirt. I could finally see my actual hair color. It was so dark brown while it was wet it was almost black, and still retained a curl while wet. After a few hours of paddling around the swimming pool I finally got out. To my surprise my hair fell down to my waist. I would have to cut it soon.

I found a nightgown on a bed in the main room. It's material was so soft. More so than anything is ever felt. A thought struck me.

I don't belong here.

I smiled at the voice and quick got dressed in the gown. I might be insane, but I had very funny voices in my head at times. I spotted a window with its curtain draw so I walked over to it. I pulled back the curtain to a beautiful starry sky. I could look over all of Os Alta it was amazing.

Well might as well enjoy it now. I'll be leaving soon anyway.

Don't be so sure about that.

It was so quiet I passed it off as wind blowing against the building. Little did I know as I fell asleep in my more that comfortable bed, that the voice was right. I would never have my old life back ever again.

~~~

A/N:

I making some changes to this and the next chapter. I thought it was a little to light-hearted. Of course I wrote this quite a while ago, it needed revision.