Part 3: Wendigo

After spending a week in Palo Alto looking for the thing that killed Jessica, the trio came up with bupkis. The only thing was she died the same way Mary Winchester died which means it was the same thing that killed her. Which happens to be the thing that John is after so if they find him, then they will get a lead on the killer. So the trio head to Blackwater Ridge due to the coordinates John left in his journal. They are currently just outside of Grand Junction.

Y/n was in back reading a book, Dean was driving and Sam was fast asleep in the passenger seat. Suddenly Sam jolted awake which caught y/n's and Dean's attention. Sam looks around blinky rapidly before relaxing in his chair.

"You okay," Dean asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sam reassured, not convincing at all.

"Was it another nightmare," y/n asked.

Sam clears his throat as he avoids her question which answers it for her.

"Want to drive for a while," Dean asked.

Sam chuckled in disbelief. "Dean, your whole life, you never once asked me that."

"Just thought you might want to. Never mind," Dean said.

"Look you guys, I know you two are worried about me. I get it, and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay," Sam reassured.

Neither y/n nor Dean really believed that but knew that Sam wasn't gonna talk about it. So Dean simply focused back to driving and y/n went back to your book. Sam looks at the map and notices the coordinates are in the middle of a forest. This confuses him since it doesn't make sense why John would send them to the middle of nowhere. But as usual, Dean didn't question since he knows John wouldn't send them somewhere for no reason. Sam sighs and puts the map down. He looks at the rearview mirror to see y/n reading.

"What are you reading y/n," Sam asked.

"Huh?"

"What book are you reading," Sam repeated.

"Oh, um...it's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson," y/n said.

"I've never heard of that book," Sam admitted. "What's it about?"

"He-he, I don't think you guys want to know," y/n said sheepishly.

"No, come on, now I'm curious," Dean said with a mischievous smirk. "What's your book about?"

"You guys will just laugh at me," y/n said.

"No we won't," Sam reassured. "I promise that I at least won't laugh but if you don't want to tell us, that's fine."

Y/n look up at the side mirror to see Sam's soft eyes. Unlike Dean who was clearly just trying to make fun of her, Sam seemed like he was genuinely curious. She bites her inner lip as she looks at her book.

"It follows Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families who disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. He is aided by the pierced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption," y/n explained.

Dean burst out laughing. "Holy crap. You're actually reading that."

Y/n gets red in the face from embarrassment as Dean continues to laugh at her.

"It's a good book," y/n said, trying to defend herself.

"I can't believe this," Dean exclaimed as he began to cry from how hard he was laughing. "You're such a weirdo-nerdo."