Part 36: Night Shifter

The trio was in a local jewelry shop in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, disguised as FBI agents. Sam questioned the manager as Dean questioned a female employee about the most recent robbery as y/n looked around for anything that might stand out. Though while y/n and Sam were working, Dean was both working and flirting, mostly flirting.

"Helena was our head buyer. She--She was family, you know? She said it herself every year at the Christmas party. She said we were the only family she had," the manager informed.

"So there were never any signs that she'd do something like this," Sam asked.

"No... Still can't believe it, even now. That night, Helena came back to the store after closing. Cleaned out all the display cases and the safe. Edgar, our night watchman--He caught her in the act. He didn't know what to do. He'd known her for years. He called me at home," the manager explained.

"And that's when she took his gun," y/n asked as she looked over another case.

"She shot him in the face. I heard him die. Over the phone," the manager said.

"Any idea what her motive could have been," Sam asked.

"What motive? It makes no sense. Why steal all those diamonds, all that jewelry and then, what, just dump it somewhere? Just hide it and then go home. And she killed herself," the manager said.

This shocked Sam a bit as it caught y/n's attention as she walked over.

"She killed herself," y/n asked.

"The police said she dropped the hair dryer in the bath and fried herself," the manger explained.

"What about the security footage? Did it get anything odd about the robbery," y/n asked.

"I don't know. I didn't see," the manager said.

This confused y/n and Sam.

"You never saw the security camera footage," Sam asked.

"No. The police, they took all the tapes--First thing," the manager said.

"Yeah, of course they did," Dean said as he approached them, waving a piece of paper.

Later that night, the trio drove down the street as they pulled up in front of a small house.

"Five--This is it," Sam said.

"Friggin' cops," Dean grumbled.

"Dean, they're just doing their job," y/n said.

"No. They're doing our job, only they don't know it, so they suck at it," Dean stated, clearly upset as they got out of the car and approached the house. "Talk to me about this bank."

"Uh, Milwaukee National Trust. It was hit about a month ago," Sam said.

"Same M.O. as the jewelry store," Dean asked.

"Yep. Inside job, longtime employee, the never-in-a-million-years types. Dude robs the bank, then goes home and supposedly commits suicide," Sam said.

"The guy Reznick, he was the security guard on duty," Dean asked.

"Yep. Apparently he was beaten unconscious by the teller who heisted the place," y/n informed.

"God," Dean muttered.

"Yeah, it ain't pretty," y/n sighed.

Sam knocked on the screen door and called out for Ronald Reznick, the security guard. After two calls and a few seconds, a bright flood light turns on, causing the trio to shield their eyes. After getting used to the light, they were able to see a young-ish man at the door looking warily.