Imagine # 1D/ Doctor ~ Hiking the Falls

"How far up are you wanting to go?" Jake asked from behind me on the trail, his tone was clearly stressed.
"All the way up, duh."
My reply didn't ease his mind at all, and I heard him let out a small sigh from behind me.

I'd wanted to climb this mountain for as long as I could remember. Since I was a little kid actually, and my dad would take me out here to look up at it after a bad day.

It'd been over a year since I'd been back here, and I'd hoped that my return would bring back some resemblance of him.

See, today, March 25th, 2024 marks the one year anniversary of his death.
That's why I had to do this.. I had to make it up the mountain, despite the worsening weather conditions.

I knew that it was supposed to storm today, but it wasn't forecasted to start until later on in the evening. Sadly, it appeared that the prediction was wrong.

It was about 11am when the rain began pelting both me and Jake hard, as we hiked up the steep and muddy path.
"Honestly Claire, we really should turn back.. it's only going to get worse." He said, as his voice wavered slightly.

"We're already at least halfway to the top, don't chicken out now. A little rain never killed anyone." I replied, my tone harsh and cold.

In hindsight, I really shouldn't have been so annoyed with him. But, in the moment the only concern I had was completing my goal.

The further into the underbrush and unpaved trails we got, the more the weather conditions declined.

We had gotten over 3/4ths the way to the top, when we hit the straight shot.
The mountains bottom half was nicely carved out into perfect trails made for the average hikers, but once you got past that, you hit a plateau.

The flat part of the mountain marked the beginning of the final quarter of the hike, which is what the locals referred to as "the straight shot."

It basically was a non trailed, steep, almost straight up climb to the very peak.

I knew it was treacherous in the best of conditions, but nothing prepared me for the climb in the worst.

As me and Jake stood on the ground and craned our necks to look up at the last stretch, I heard him groan.

"This is by far the stupidest idea, you've ever had." He said, putting his hands on his hips as he looked at me.

"This is it, after this we're done." I assured as the rain completely soaked us to the bone.

Somewhere off in the distance a boom of thunder echoed and a bright flash of lightning followed causing us both to jump.

"We should hurry up." I said, grabbing onto a few rocks and hoisting my self up, starting the climb.

Jake wasn't far behind me, and together we made our way up, slowly.

I noticed fairly quickly though, that the rocks had become increasingly slick with the torrential rainfall, and keeping my grip was a difficult task. Both of our feet shuffled as we struggled to keep our balance and steadiness on the rocks.

As we struggled our way up, large debris began pelting us from the sky, making me yelp out as they landed directly onto my skin.

"Fuck.. hail." I head Jake say as we climbed.

"What do we do?" I yelled out, now clutching my body as close to the mountain side as possible. We were now way far up from the ground, and a new fear of heights began taking over my senses.

"Hell if I know!" He yelled back, and the thunder now roared over the top of us.

Lightning flashed and cracked, as my breath shuttered against the rocks.

"I love you Claire." I heard Jake yell out, then without a warning, rocks from the tops of the mountain began slipping and falling down toward us, now slippery with mud.

I felt a large blow to the top of my head, and next thing I know I was sliding at a high rate of speed.

I felt searing pains, and harsh blows all down my back and sides as I was propelled down the straight shot of the mountain.

The ground below, at the plateau was wet and flooded, so as I hit, I was sent rolling, back into a ditch between the trails that led up to it.

With a final thud I hit the ground, and I was laying flat on my back staring up the sky.

My world and the clouds above throbbed with brightness and dimness as it went in and out of focus.

I couldn't bring myself to move, or yell, despite my best efforts. I felt paralyzed and trapped as the rain continued to hit my skin and drown my senses.

This was the end.

I thought to myself, as I felt tears mixed with rain slip down my cheeks.