Hiking the Falls PT. 2

"OVER HERE." I heard a loud, male voice yell out, followed by the sound of rustling grass and running.

I couldn't really see well anymore, everything was blurry around me.

"THERES TWO KIDS, DID YOU CALL IT IN?" The same voice yelled out, now much closer to me.

"YES, THEY'RE ON THEIR WAY." A different, yet still unfamiliar voice shouted  back.

A tall figure blocked my view of the sky, and I couldn't make out any distinct features, but I honestly was just relieved that someone had found us.

"Can you hear me?" I heard the male ask aloud, his face now right above mine as he kneeled beside me.

I felt my mouth open as I tried to speak, but no sound came out.

"That's okay, just breathe for me." The man assured, as I felt him gently pat my shoulder.

"My names Harry.". He said, and his fingers began pressing into my wrist. "Me and my friend Zayn here are doctors, so you're gonna be just fine."

Despite the crushing pain that was reverberating around my body, I felt myself calm at his words.

We were gonna make it out of this.

"HARRY." I heard Zayn yell from somewhere behind me. "It's a code blue."

My stomach dropped and I immediately began fighting every inch of my body that wouldn't move, I had to get to Jake.

"Hey, hey..." Harry said, placing his hands on both of my shoulders and keeping me pinned to the ground. "There's nothing you can do for him right now, sitting up would only hurt you." His voice was soft, and his eyes burned into mine with a deep sincerity.

"He can't die." I croaked out, my voice finally pushing past the restraints of pain.

"He's doing everything he can to make sure that doesn't happen, I promise." He gently pushed the hair out of my face, and I felt tears begin falling down my cheeks.

"Harry, can you take a cycle?" Zayn asked, and Harry nodded standing and running to wherever Jake was.

Soon, a bleary but distinctly black haired man was kneeling beside me.

"Does anywhere in particular hurt?" He asked calmly, glancing my laying figure up and down.

I thought for a moment, trying to tune into my own body.

"Everything all at once.. but in a numb way?" I explained, feeling confused at the sensations I was experiencing.

"Shock." He said simply, before focusing his eyes to somewhere on my leg. I watched as he took off his jacket, wrapped it around what felt like my knee.

"Ow!" I yelped out, as the jacket was tied painfully tight around it.

"I know.. I know.." He soothed, as the rain continued to pelt us both. "I'm sorry."

"THEYRE APPROACHING." Harry yelled, and a few moments later a roaring sound started, and it was getting increasingly loud.

"In a few moments, a bunch of people are gonna run over here and place a hard board behind your back." Zayn explained softly, gently squeezing my hand. "Then, they're gonna load you in the helicopter and get you and your friend to the hospital."

I shook my head, the best I could, and grabbed his hand back tightly.

"I don't wanna be alone." I whimpered out.

"Me and Harry will meet you at the hospital, I promise." I felt his pinky interlock with mine as he made the oath and I smiled a little.

"We'll be with you before you know it."

A few moments later, a group of three men took Zayns spot, and I felt myself being placed on the board. Shortly after that, my world went black.

When I awoke, the lights were blindingly bright, and an incessant beeping echoed around me.

I stirred a bit, realizing that I could move a bit more freely now, I strained to open my eyes fully, fighting the pain it caused.

"Good morning sleepy head." I heard a voice say from somewhere close by.

I jumped slightly and forced my eyes open, glancing around.

"Easy.. easy." He said, as I recognized the face of Harry.

"You came." I said softly, and he smiled.

"Of course, we had to make sure you were alright." He said, standing beside the bed.

"Jake?" I asked, suddenly feeling a pang of fear.

"He's recovering, but he's expected to be just fine." Harry assured calmly, and I smiled.

"I'm so glad you were there.. Zayn too. We wouldn't be here without you guys."

"It's no problem." He replied, as the door to the hospital room opened and Zayn walked in.

"What were you guys doing out there anyways?" He asked softly, coming and sitting on the end of the bed.

I pause for a moment, debating on how much I want to tell these two.. still semi strangers.

"Long story.." I say barely above a whisper, and Zayn opens his mouth to reply.

"All that matters is that you're here now." Harry said interrupting Zayn, who sighed a bit, but relented.

"He's right.. and that you won't make a decision that dumb again.." Zayn responded after a beat of silence.

I saluted him in response, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that I'd learned my lesson.

"Once again.. thank you both."

"Anytime." They said in unison.