Chapter 19: Matching

"There! Done!" Marinette squealed.

"That looks great, Marinette," Tikki smiled.

"Thanks, Tikki." Marinette smiled.

"You two are going to look great at the Christmas party in those for sure!" Tikki said cheerfully.

Marinette pulled a Christmas outfit from out of her sewing machine when she heard a bang above her.

"That has to be Chat again. Better hide Tikki." Marinette smiled.

"Again? He really needs to go home." Tikki laughed, flying into Marinette's purse, hearing Marinette laugh.

Not a second later, Marinette hears the skylight door open and sees two black ears poke their way inside followed by two green cat eyes.

"Hey, there princess." He smiled.

"Hey Chat. Are you still coming tomorrow night?" She asked.

"Oh! Uh... Me? Yes!" He said nervously.

"Oka...y?" Marinette said, a little confused.

Chat jumped inside and walked over to Marinette, sitting down on her chaise. She had her hair up in a bun in another set of Christmas pajamas. He could tell she had been working all day.

"What are you working on?" He asked.

"Alya said we should wear Christmas outfits. Adrien said he was going to ask and we haven't heard anything yet, and if he goes that would be amazing enough... so I figured I would make mine and his." Marinette smiled.

"Can you try this on and see if it fits you?" She said, holding it up.

"Uh... sure." He said, a little awkward.

He put it on and she made small alterations when she heard her phone buzz. Chat noir swallowed and frowned, knowing exactly what the text was going to be about, and took off the outfit, feeling guilty.

"Hold on, it's Alya," Marinette said smiling.

Chat watched as her smile faded and she sat down in her chair and texted Alya back then sat her phone back down.

"Wh-what's the matter, princess?" He asked, knowing fully well why.

"It's nothing." She lied.

"Come on. I can tell when you're upset." He said, walking over to her and kneeling down to look her in the eyes.

"Well, Adrien isn't going to be there now. He couldn't get permission and we've been friends for so long and... I just really wanted everyone to be there." She frowned.

"I'm sorry Marinette." He said, pulling her into a hug.

"It's alright Chat. It's not like it's your fault." She forced a laugh, which made him feel worse.

He wanted to tell her so badly. He wanted to reveal his identity but knew that if he did it would put not only her in danger but Sabine and Tom as well as himself. It wouldn't be fair.

"I'll be there and I'll be your matching prince charming, princess. I'll wear his attire." Chat smiled, leaning out of the hug and looking over at the outfit.

"Are you sure? I'm not sure if the entire outfit will look right with your suit." Marinette laughed.

"Hmm... what about a Santa hat and a red and white throw over my shoulders... to compliment the princess?" He wiggled his eyebrows, causing her to laugh.

"I can make that work, I suppose." She rolled her eyes.

"See? We can have a great time. Don't we always have a good time with you and me? You don't need that snobby stuck up rich model kid." He laughed.

"Chat. Don't talk about him like that." She glared, which caught him off guard.

"I-... I'm sorry. I was only trying to make you laugh." He said, feeling a little awkward.

"It's... I'm sorry for snapping at you. He's my friend. I care about him and I don't want you to judge him. He isn't just a rich model boy. He is caring and loving and sweet. He is always putting others before himself. He is one of my first friends. He is dear to me as you are." She smiled.

"Should I... be jealous? Are you crushing on him as you are to me, princess?" He teased.

"Oh! You dumb cat! Help me get this outfit done." Marinette blushed pushing him lightly away.

"Aw come on, tell me! Do I have competition?" He teased again.

"Chat!"

"Purr-iness?"

"Focus!"

"Come on tell me!" He laughed, seeing her ignore him as she started on his costume.