Chapter 20: Cookies

"Are you about ready?" She asked.

"Yes, I only have to put my hat on. What about you? Huh? Princess! You're not even dressed!" He said, walking over to her.

"Well I had to look up this cookie recipe and get the snowflakes that we cut out the other night," Marinette explained.

Chat noir sighed and gently nudged her downstairs toward the kitchen.

"Ok, cookies only take like, what... twenty minutes? While they are baking you go get changed." Chat said.

"Ha, ha! More like... an hour? Are you getting anxious about being late?" Marinette crossed her arms.

"Speedy cat gets the rat, princess." He smiled.

"Ugh... alright let's get started," Marinette said, putting her hair up into a high bun so it wouldn't get in the way as she tied an apron around herself, which helped reveal her figure a little more.

Chat blushed and had to forcibly snap himself out of it and focus on the cookies if he was ever going to get them to Alya and Nino's on time.

"What kind are we making?" He asked, seeing her read over the instructions.

"Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies" She smiled.

"Sand...wich cookies?" He questioned.

"You'll like them, I promise." She laughed.

Despite the name, he trusted her baking skills as well as her judgment. Marinette had Chat noir grab a big bowl and stir the ingredients: flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, cloves, and salt. While she beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until it was light and fluffy. Once it was light and fluffy, she beat in the egg, molasses, and vanilla. Chat slowly added his mixture to her mixture. They preheated it to 350 degrees and divided them into sections on the parchment paper and put them into the refrigerator.

"Alright while that is chilling, go change!" Chat noir said, shoving her upstairs.

Marinette laughed and nodded, disappearing. Marinette left him her phone to look through the recipe but didn't expect to get a text from Alya halfway through. Chat noir popped the cookies in the oven after they chilled and while waiting Chat noir's curiosity got the best of him and he clicked on it.

Alya: Hey girl, Adrien texted Nino earlier this afternoon and said that his father wouldn't let him come tonight. I'm so sorry girl. I know you really wanted him to come.

Marinette: It's alright. Is it ok if Chat noir comes?

Alya: The superhero chat noir? Of course! Wait... is something going on between you two?!

Marinette: What?! No! What do you mean?

Alya: Is that why you've been acting "normal" around Adrien lately? Your crush on Adrien is... transferring to Chat noir?

What should he do? Should he act like he never saw the texts? So Marinette did have a crush on Adrien... or well... did?

He quickly exited her messages when he heard her coming down the stairs and saw her placing her Santa hat on her head. She had a red and white Santa dress that was strapless. She had black boots on with white and red striped stockings on that resembled candy canes that were super cute on her, which caused him to blush uncontrollably.

"Are they ready?" Marinette asked.

"Should be. They have fifteen seconds left." He smiled, nervously.

Marinette walked over and opened the oven, letting the heat, as well as the smell of the cookies, escape into the kitchen. It was so mouth-watering. They put the cookies into a container after decorating them with icing and grabbed the paper snowflakes and quickly made their way to the door to leave.

"Don't forget your scarf." He said, pulling a red scarf with black polka dots down.

"It's ladybug themed." Marinette smiled, awkwardly.

"I like it." He smiled, wrapping it around her neck, and then placed his own Santa hat on his head.

He opened the bakery door and waved Sabine and Tom goodbye as they started walking to Alya and Nino's Christmas party.