Chapter 12

The figure pointed at flinched for a moment. It seemed like they wanted to escape, but couldn't.

Ning Rushen couldn't bear it anymore, just as he was about to muster the courage to speak up, he heard the figure, blushing, say with a trembling voice:

"The commander made a mistake, I... I am not Shiyi!!"

Li Wuting's face had already darkened by half. He pinched his brow and said to Yin Zhao, "You go down first."

Shiyi bowed and swiftly disappeared into the night.

They each dispersed the Jinyiwei under their command, and Ning Rushen and Li Wuting faced each other in silence for a few seconds.

"Have you had dinner yet?" The words came at the same time.

Ning Rushen paused for a moment, "Not yet."

He had just come out of the bath, his hair still not completely dry, draped behind him in only a white robe.

Li Wuting's gaze fell upon him.

In his eyes, it seemed like there was still a hint of moisture, and there was a water mark on the collar. The night breeze was cool, carrying the scent of grass and a hint of dew.

He withdrew his gaze, turned around, and said, "Hmm."

"?" Ning Rushen was left puzzled by his response. As he stood there, observing Li Wuting's broad back, Dequan turned his head and winked at him, mouthing:

"The Emperor summoned you for dinner."

Ning Rushen: ...??

Li Wuting inviting him to dine together was likely just a casual remark, perhaps made to break the tension.

But he couldn't just go casually.

Ning Rushen returned to his tent, put on his official robe, tied up his hair, and as he was about to leave, he ran into the jubilant Geng Yan.

"Geng Yan, let's go, eat some roasted rabbit!"

Ning Rushen shook his head, "I'm not going."

"...Why, don't you like rabbits?"

"The Emperor summoned me for dinner."

Geng Yan's expression twisted, patting his chest and murmuring to himself, "Stay calm, stay calm," before turning and leaving the tent together with Ning Rushen.

The Emperor and his courtiers were dining in front of the tent.

A bonfire was lit in the open space in front of the tent, with the Emperor seated at the central position, while the other courtiers sat around the fire pit.

As they walked towards the gathering, Geng Yan said, "By the way, I just saw Lu Shijiang, Gong Xiujian, and Tan Xiujian return. Their limbs are all sprained, probably won't be able to get up for at least half a month."

Ning Rushen remained silent for a moment.

After more than twenty laps, how could he not drift?

Geng Yan whispered again, "Do you think that spooking the horse was intentional? Do you think His Majesty noticed and did it to vent his anger on you?"

Ning Rushen felt speechless at hearing this.

Why would Li Wuting want to vent his anger on him?

Just a month ago, he even intended to keep himself from getting angry.

"I don't know if it was intentional."

Ning Rushen looked towards the faintly flickering fire ahead. "But it's probably because of something else."