Chapter 30

Li Jingyu seemed to be pondering the relationship between the "Pixiu" and his second imperial brother. After equating the two in his mind, he raised the gauze curtain in his hand.

Ning Rushen couldn't take it any longer. "Let's put this away," he said, quickly stuffing the curtain under the seat cushion. He couldn't help but glance at Li Wuting.

Li Wuting felt a sharp pain in his head. He wanted to say something but, constrained by Li Jingyu's presence, could only stabilize the situation first. In a deep voice, he said, "Jingyu, don't let your second imperial brother know about this."

Li Wuting pursed his lips. "I fear it will upset him."

In the corner, Yi Wusheng was almost embedding himself into the side wall.

The carriage stopped, and Li Jingyu eagerly jumped out.

Once he was gone, Ning Rushen finally looked at Li Wuting with a complicated expression, having recovered from his initial shock and embarrassment. "Your Majesty, you..."

Yi Wusheng immediately took the blame, clapping his hands. "It's my fault! I just put it there without thinking! Oh, look at these hands of mine!"

Ning Rushen watched his seal-like clapping with a mixture of pity and understanding. As a great eunuch, he was constantly taking the blame for the emperor.

His gaze was too direct.

A vein throbbed on Li Wuting's forehead. "Ning Chen!"

Ning Rushen quickly agreed. "Yes, yes, Yi Wusheng put it there."

"..."

In the tense silence, Li Jingyu's voice came from outside. "Huh? Why aren't my imperial brother and Lord Ning down yet?"

Then his mouth was covered. "Shh... don't rush them..."

Li Wuting, unable to tolerate it any longer, stood up. "Get out of the carriage!"

Yi Wusheng hurriedly crawled to lift the curtain.

As the curtain was lifted, the bright sunlight mixed with the fresh air of the suburbs flooded in.

Li Wuting stood up, his tall frame blocking most of the light. Ning Rushen looked at his straight, upright back and thought of the gauze curtain under the seat cushion, feeling inexplicably like his heart was on fire.

It made his ears burn, and he was truly restless.

At the moment when Li Wuting bent over to get out of the carriage, Ning Rushen couldn't resist leaning in and whispering, "Your Majesty, even if you like that... please don't use something I've used..."

A large hand slammed against the side of the carriage door.

Li Wuting turned his head, his gaze deep. "I don't like it."

Ning Rushen pursed his lips. "Oh."

The two of them were stuck at the carriage door, one tall and one short, while Xu Wang, a few steps away, watched with glowing eyes: Lord Ning's ears seemed a bit red, and he looked very embarrassed...

Heh heh, heh heh heh...

In the few breaths he spent secretly watching, Li Wuting had already stepped out of the carriage. His cold, sharp gaze cut off the prying:

"You're back."

Li Yingtang appropriately ceased his actions. "Your subject greets Your Majesty."

Li Wuting sized him up and down. "The Dragon Boat Festival was worth your return to the capital. Did you just dip into your fief and come back? Is Jiangnan too hot for your feet?"