15. Child.

Fridays. The beginning of a fun-filled weekend, for some. For me, it's just another day filled with lies and unanswered questions. I couldn't sleep last night because my brain wouldn't stop trying to piece every detail together to make sense. And to top it all off, no one was home. I was left with Mary, the lovely 45-year-old woman who happens to be the housekeeper and mama bear of the house.

She helped me change my bandage while informing me about my appointment at 1 pm. I grumbled, not wanting to go to the hospital. Over the last year, I've come to despise hospitals. They always seem to remind me of the pain my mother went through when she was still alive. It felt like an abyss of brokenness and suffering. Each sterile smell, white paint, and cost everywhere, a remembrance of who can break you with one word.

Mary didn't give ears to my grumbling. She was at my room by 12 pm, reminding me of my appointment. I groaned, throwing a tantrum, but one look from her got me dragging my body to the closet to find something to wear. I threw on the first thing I could get my hands on, which happened to be a white milkmaid gown that stopped above my knees, with a tiny slit playing peek-a-boo with my thigh.

I frowned, trying to remember when I got this dress, but came up blank. Memories of Aunty Esosa showing me this exact gown flooded my memories, and it made me groan more. She double-crossed me. I had seen this dress at a mall, but the price made me walk past it. I should have known going to the mall with Aunty Esosa was a bad idea. Nothing gets past that woman.

Before I could think of changing, Mary barged into my room, ushering me out. I dragged my legs, trying to stall, but she wasn't having any of it. She successfully got me into the waiting car and on our way to the hospital.

We got to the hospital on time, and I was instantly attended to. The power of money. I found out that my legs had gotten infected, but I was damned lucky that it was at its early stage, and I had a doctor check it out. I had stopped paying attention to the doctor's words when he started listing things I should take or do, but instead, my mind decided to step towards the past.

"Nix, sweetie, please let's just go home." My mom begged, her frail hand gripping mine. I tried so hard to appear strong in front of her as I shook my head. "No, mommy, you need this." I forced a smile, adjusting the blanket on her, trying to avoid eye contact.

"But sweetheart, it's not even working." I knew what she was doing. She did this every time I came to see her, trying to convince me to stop paying for her chemo and just like always, I refused. Today, however, wasn't like every day. Today, she had been more persistent, she had even somehow convinced the doctors to stop her medications. I was so angry, I barged into the doctor's office, raining insults and hell on every occupant in the hospital. He had to quickly start her meds again to get me to calm down.

The anger was still in attendance, but I had to tame it down. I didn't want to make mom's condition worse than it already was, so I tried as much as possible to change the topic. "I saw Kosi," I whispered, playing with her wrinkled fingers. "Really?" I heard the hope dance in her voice, even as she tried to downplay it. I raised my eyes, watching as she forced the tears away, her pale lips raised in a wild smile. One that only appeared seldomly.

"Yes. She asked about your health." I lied between my teeth, not liking the taste of it. I watched as her eyes sparkled in happiness. If I had to lie to her to make her happy, I'd do it again, even if I had to mention her name. Why does life have to be so cruel to the extent it despises the ones that live in it? Here I am, holding on to the last thread of motherly love, when someone who doesn't even remember she has one neglects her mother, even on her death bed. Why can't she love me like her?

"...in 2 weeks," I snapped out of my mental trance, frowning at the last word of the doctor. "2 weeks?" I questioned, trying to get the gist of the whole story. "For your check-up," the doctor clarified, his smile never dropping. "I won't be here by then," I informed him of my plans. I have no intention of staying here for that long; I needed to be in Lagos, latest Saturday, in order to meet up with the Thanksgiving service held for my mother.

"No problem, just make sure to have a doctor check your wound, and you'll be fine," he smiled, standing to his feet. I nodded, following suit. I heard Mary thank him while I made my way out of the office, wanting to be anywhere else but the hospital. I didn't bother thanking him, as I quickly found my way out of his office and straight for the exit.

The glitter of a golden eagle caught my eyes. I curiously took a turn, and the sight in front of me blew me away. Right in front of me stood a rootless, always frowning general, who was caressing a young child as a small smile, not very obvious, danced on his lip. I watched as the child hugged him, loving the expression that took over his face, and I did take a picture of it, cos I know he would hate it.

It wasn't a big shock to me when I saw the boy's mother stiffen in fear, waiting for the general to do something. I was patiently holding my breath, awaiting his response. Maybe a frown, pushing the kid away, or stepping away, but I wasn't expecting to see an infant smile on his face. If my eyes weren't on him, I wouldn't have noticed. My eyes stretched further in surprise as I watched him run his hand on the boy's head, the child said something to him, looking him in the eyes, not cowering. He gave a curt nod to the boy, whose smile widened before stepping towards his mother, who picked him up and ran to God knows where.

With his back now turned to me, I decided to make my presence known. "Who would have thought you were soft around kids." He stood to his full height, never slouching for once. I felt the temperature of the room change to something darker as every onlooker quickly dispersed from the environment, not wanting to be caught in it. If I had as much brain as them, I would have just walked away, but no, I just had to pull at his buttons.