16. Safe POV.

"Stress is the state of worry or material tension caused by a difficult situation......". Josh's voice echoed in my head as he read his research out loud to me. I snapped at him, annoyed. "Shut up."l

I sighed, rubbing my face in frustration, still reeling from the president's words. "You're taking a break. Go on sabbatical." He hadn't even asked me what I wanted; he just commanded me. I'd never been tagged as sick and incapable of executing my duties, let alone forced into sabbatical.

The squeaking door drew my attention as the doctor assigned to me walked in. I glared at her, not missing the seductive look she shot at me. I couldn't wait to get out of here as fast as possible. Everything in the hospital annoyed me – not just the doctor or nurses who seemed jumpy around me.

My thoughts ran back to what happened at our meeting that morning. It was supposed to be a successful meeting, with the president granting me full approval for a full-on investigation into the gang of unidentified terrorists responsible for various criminal activities, including the burning of a government building. I had everything planned out, only to wake up in a hospital bed with Josh lurking around me like a shadow.

"I brought your discharge papers," the doctor said, her voice calm and flirtatious, as she walked further into the room. She slowly bent down to drop the papers, putting her assets on display in a silent invitation. I didn't miss the fact that she had discarded her lab coat and was now wearing a tight black pencil skirt and white chiffon top with the first two buttons undone, revealing her cleavage.

Josh covered his laughter at the doctor's display, as my glare intensified. I didn't need another woman throwing herself at me, hoping to get my attention. What she wasn't aware of was that I didn't need another woman in my life to mess it up more than it already was.

An image of Onyx flashed in my mind, getting me more annoyed. Thank God I'd gotten rid of her, but I couldn't seem to get rid of her grandfather's right-hand man, Osage, who happened to be her cousin. They both possessed the ability to get on my every nerve.

"Leave," I finally snapped, having had enough of the doctor's silent invitation. She flinched, righting herself immediately and practically running out of the room. I didn't miss the red blush that dusted her cheek in embarrassment.

The soft click of the door brought back some level of peace, but I was too quick to conclude. "You know, it says here that stress can kill," Josh said, his voice laced with a smirk.

I massaged my forehead, picked up the discharge papers, and penned down my signature before dumping them beside me. I swung my legs off the bed, only for my sock-covered leg to come into contact with the cold tiles. I grunted, not liking the fact that someone had taken my boots off.

Getting off the bed, I kicked my feet under the bed and touched my boots. Sliding them out, I hurriedly put them on, making sure they were secured before walking out of the room. I didn't bother to call Josh as I pulled the door open and walked out without acknowledging my orderly.

I watched as nurses, doctors, and patients quickly moved out of the way to let me through. It took everything in me not to roll my eyes. I couldn't possibly help it. I'd learned to be this way to protect these same people. If it wasn't my presence that scared them, it was the uniform or the men who flanked around me.

I took a left turn, narrowly missing a young child who thought it would be a good idea to run in the hallway. I felt tiny hands holding my khaki trousers. I glanced at the young child, who was dressed in a loose hospital gown and peeking from behind my leg before using that same leg as a shield.

His frail body gave alarm for concern, but the smile on his face was relaxing. "Victor," a panicked voice called, searching for the little child. I wasn't a child person or a human person at all. I was an introvert; I preferred to be alone rather than with the crowd, which spoke a lot for my position.

"What's wrong?" I asked the young boy, trying to tame my tone not to sound demanding or rude. He shook his head, pointing towards the lady and whispering "injection." He took hold of my khaki pants, his smile turning into a frown.

"You don't want to be injected?" I asked the child awkwardly. My lack of communication skills made it increasingly difficult to know the right words to say to a child, so I tried hard to relate to him. It shouldn't be hard. If only I had taken my sister's constant nagging to visit my nieces and nephews.

The child nodded, displaying his teeth as his hold on my khaki tightened. Sighing, I took to squatting, my hands on the little boy's shoulders. "But you need them to get well, or don't you want to get well?" I flinched at my own words, which came out weird and wrong. The little boy didn't care about my tone; neither did he flinch. He gave me a nod while twisting his fingers.

A relief sigh left my lips as I tried to come up with something else to say. "Lollipops would work, maybe chocolate," Josh coughed out, saving me from this situation.

"How about I get you chocolates for the discomfort?" I asked, a smile threatening to show. "Yes, please," he replied, his smile growing.

I looked to one of my men, who quickly left to get the chocolate without a word leaving my mouth. I stood to my feet just when the soldier came back with a pack of chocolate, which he brought forward, but I shook my head, pointing at the lady. He nodded, handing the pack to the lady, who whispered her thanks.

"You'll get it only after your injection," I said, looking down at him. "Thank you," he said, hugging my leg. Once again, I got stiff but didn't pull back. He let go of me, whispering another thanks as he skipped towards his mother.

"Thank you," she said, not waiting for a response before rushing out with her child. I turned, watching as they departed. I welcomed the peace as everyone found their way back to their respective duties.

"Who would have thought you are  soft around kids?" I groan in frustration as an all to familiar voice ring through my ear drum, spiking every irritated cell on my body.