XXIII - Dead to Us

Twenty-three: Dead to Us

Isaac arrived in Tetbury the next day after a quiet journey, a perfect reflection of how he felt inside. When he stepped out of the train, he took in a deep breath and enjoyed the pollution-free air that came with it. He immediately hopped in a car to Malmesbury. He had not told anyone at Bright Manor when he was coming, nor did he send a telegram when he arrived in Tetbury, as he did not want Samuel to ask Jason and, even more so, Egbert, to come pick him up in the station. He needed to have a conversation with Egbert and was, in fact, greatly looking forward to it, but he would not have it on a cart coming back; that was no place nor situation to talk about the matters they needed to.

The hour-long trip, which started at Tetbury Station, ended in Bright Manor, where Isaac, strangely, noticed a clarence led by two handsome Arab stallions and conducted by a man in formal attire. Isaac remembered seeing a clarence being used in London a couple of times, mostly when Lord and Lady Sulley had their businesses to attend, as it was their official vehicle; this one, however, flew a small flag on the back, with an unknown coat of arms. Isaac approached it to try to see if it made any sense.

It was a red circle divided in four over a yellow background, each quarter - that was not perfectly divided, as the two on the left were smaller than those on the right - contained standing on hind legs and roaring to the front whereas in the middle a man was sitting holding the Bible in one hand and a cross on the other - Philip, the Apostle, which tied in perfectly with the way the circle had been divided: it was, in fact, St. Philip's cross. No, Isaac had no idea to whom that might belong, but he had a feeling he would find out in a moment.

"Excuse me," the driver said, noticing as Isaac approached the carriage. "Who are you?"

"I am Isaac Foster; I am the butler. Who are you?"

"My apologies Mr. Foster," he said. "I am Lucas Bell, the driver of this carriage."

"Granted, naturally. I should not have sneaked in on it from behind. I have never seen this coat of arms before. I was wondering to whom it might belong."

"It's the Earldom of Argyll's," he said, wary of the question. "Are you not the butler to Lord Samuel O'Cain?"

"I am, but he does not have anything with the earldom's coat of arms in it. I had never seen it. I take it Lord and Lady O'Cain have come here, then? Oh, I still the last time..." he said the last words lower than the rest

"I beg your pardon."

"Nothing, Mr. Bell. I shall come inside, now. May I offer you a cup of tea or some water, perhaps?"

"No, Mr. Foster, thank you. Most kind."

Foster nodded with a grin, then continued his way around the house. Usually, he would go in via the front door, but he would not dare do it while their lordships were in the house, for fear he might crash into the heated debate that was sure to be succeeding inside. Plus, his goal was Egbert, first and foremost, and, if he was anywhere about Bright Manor to be found, it would be in the garden. However, he was not there. Isaac came in to see if he would find him, or Olivia, but found neither.

Upon closing the door, though, it was as though he had called her, for Olivia emerged from the hallway and walked to him at a faster pace than usual.

"You are a Godsend, Isaac, do you know that?"

"I saw the carriage. What are they doing here?" he asked as they walked to the hallway to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"I have no idea, but it's not good," she said, holding Isaac's arm before they entered the hallway. "Do not walk into the room; it sounds important."