XXII - 7B Sterry Street

Twenty-two: 7B Sterry Street

Isaac took a cab to Sterry Street. During the time he had stayed in London, he had visited most sights people would when visiting London, but he could not remember how many times he had been in Southwark, for he was sure he must have been there at least once. All throughout the ride, he tried to think of something emblematic about London that could have led him there and, it was not until he saw the imponent gothic tower of Southwark Cathedral that he remembered he had, in fact, been to Southwark, though only once.

Southwark was this odd mixture of better-off (for to call them well-off is a stretch) people from the working class and somewhat traditional families who lived in large, slightly out of place, mansions dispersed around the borough. Areas such as the surroundings of Southwark Cathedral and King's College were, notoriously, well constructed and, to some extent, even quite fancy, as they belonged to sponsors, professors and clergymen who could afford such places to live in; the further away from it one went, however, the less glamorous it became. Nevertheless, Isaac did not have to stray too far from the fancy areas of the borough, as Sterry Street was relatively near King's College.

If the flat he was to visit belonged to the Gill family, it would make sense that they lived in a better-off region, Isaac reasoned. After all, albeit working class, they could hardly be considered at the same level of a factory worker in Whitechapel. Having been responsible for repairing and cleaning clocks and watches of the most varied sizes and materials for people who could — and would, for the quality of their service was unmatched — afford their services could only lead to a decent amount of money to maintain oneself.

Isaac jumped to the conclusion that it belonged to William Gill because Jonathan was from Canterbury, hence held no possessions in London, and was of a socioeconomic position that could not afford anything in the city, either. Unless Jonathan had gained a significant raise, which, in itself, was already highly unlikely, then it was quite unlikely that the flat was his. However, if it was true that it did belong to William Gill, who was, for lack of a better word, his friend, it could be that he rented it to him for a much lower price. Then again, why would one need a flat when there were already rooms in Wulworth Place to live in for free? Isaac thought of this question as he was approaching the street, and the answer came almost at the same time he finished formulating the question: because when you are of a certain sort you require more privacy than most — a situation he completely related to.

Lastly, it could be simply that their friendship had grown to the status where they lived in the same place: William Gill's. This possibility, however, completely skipped Isaac's mind, which, now that he had arrived at Sterry Street, was elsewhere entirely.

He paid the driver the owed fare for the drive and walked towards 7B, which was on the second floor of a two-story building whose first floor was 7A. 7A was a shoemaker's shop, with a staircase on the side that led to 7B. At first, Isaac wondered whether he was in the right place at first, but, when the door opened, his doubt vanished.

"Isaac," Jonathan said, looking like one who has just seen a ghost.

"Jonathan."

"Who told you I was here?"

"William."

Jonathan looked as though he had been stabbed in the back, as his mouth went slightly agape and his next breath was drawn more heavily.

"He shouldn't have."

"Please do not resent him for it: I quite literally begged him on my knees to tell me and he made me swear I would do you no harm."

"But why? Why now?"

The now made it very clear that his question had nothing to do with neither the plea nor the oath.