XVI - Christmas Pt. II

Sixteen: Christmas Pt. II

DECEMBER 23rd

Egbert dropped Isaac and Olivia at the station, as requested, and helped Olivia with the luggage. He wanted to stay and see them inside the train but they were unanimous in their position: that he went back home. After all, it was later than usual and it would be even later until he returned to Malmesbury. Reluctant, Egbert agreed. He wished them both a happy Christmas and a safe journey to their homes. His gaze lingered on Isaac for a moment longer and he hoped he would receive something that only he could provide; a gesture that only they would understand. A smile, perhaps... But no; he kept it cordial and gentlemanly — as one would under those circumstances.

They never knew, but, when Egbert walked outside the train station, he approached the station's clerk and asked which train was heading to Gloucester, to which the man answered 'the third one'. Egbert, then, waited outside, at the wagon, in the cold, for the third train. Though he would not do as he originally intended, at least he would do the best he could.

When the train departed, he rode back to report the completion of the task and ask for further instructions. He expected he would ask for help, given he would be alone in the house for four days, but was surprised by his lordship's response.

"You are dismissed entirely until the 27th. And you can tell Jason and Arlene that they are dismissed, as well."

"But... My Lord, how shall you spend Christmas?"

"I can manage. I have lived alone before, as you know it. I can cook — not as good as Olivia, granted, but I do my best —, I hardly doubt anything would break or be so irreversibly dirty that would justify your siblings' presence and I am sure the snow will prevent weeds from growing in the garden."

"But... It's Christmas."

Samuel smiled.

"A fine holiday for one to spend with one's family, which is why I am dismissing the three of you, as I have dismissed both Olivia and Isaac."

Egbert could not understand what possibly could have been necessary for one to grow as apart from one's family as Samuel had from his, and he probably never would; although he was no stranger to heartache, he could not think of anything his family could do that would make him turn away from them so completely.

"That would be all, Egbert. I'll see you again on the 27th."

"Good night to you, then, my lord — and Merry Christmas."

"To you and your family, as well, Egbert. Thank you."

Egbert nodded, put his cap back on and left, bringing home the news. On his way home, he found his mind drifting towards Egbert yet again, and the cold did not help him shake it off. When he finally reached home, he got to take off his large woolen coat, his cap and rejoice in the heat that emanated from the living room fireplace, where half of his family was. His mother knitted gloves for Hugh, after he had ruined his while playing with his friends two days ago, on the rocking chair; Hugh played with Lizzy in front of the rocking chair, under the watchful eye of Mrs Cawley, whereas Mr Cawley sat on the armchair and chatted with Jason. Arlene and Josephine were in their bedroom discussing the seasonal fashion, to which they had gained access after buying a French magazine from Sean in the fair earlier that day, and George was reading in his bed.

"Egbert, home at last!" Mrs Cawley said, smiling.

"And with good news!", he said after kissing his mother on the head, not before picking Lizzie up to give her a kiss on the cheek, as well. "Jason, you might like to hear this one," he said, putting Lizzie down.