XXVIII - Always

Twenty-nine: Always

Saying farewell has never been an easy thing to do when one does it to another they care for, which is precisely how it went with Egbert, who had his entire family to say farewell to. Isaac was already an expert in the area if one can ever rise to such a position, given the many times he had to say goodbye to family and friends throughout his life (when he said goodbye to Samuel, the day before, it was no different), so he asked Egbert if he could join him as he talked to his family. He thought it would help, and Egbert did so, too, but, ultimately, the request was denied, as Egbert thought it best to do it by himself. Although goodbyes were no strangers to Isaac, it was the first time Egbert would say it to someone, having lived in Malmesbury with his family his entire life.

He had already spoken to Arlene and Jason about it and it had gone well: he used these two conversations as rehearsals for the big stage: the living room of their house, in front of his parents and the other siblings. He came into the house the day before their departure ready to be as open-hearted as possible in his explanations, for, no doubt, there would be inquiries.

The general reason for his departure went as such: he and Isaac had talked and decided to raise sheep together in Sussex; this decision, however, stood solely on business grounds. This, he thought, was the perfect thing to say for two reasons. First, because it was true: he had talked with Isaac, they decided to sheep together, and were both moving to Sussex; it would become a lie (partially, at least) if he was compelled to explain the nature of their relationship, but, since it had not happened in both Arlene and Jason's conversation, he liked to believe it wouldn't again this time. Second, it would feel genuine, as it would fit both Isaac's visit to him in his house — which his mother could attest to — and their three-day getaway, which could, for all they knew, have been attributed to the two partners checking their soon-to-be farm.

Egbert ran the entire thing in his mind as he called his family to the living room. His parents both sat by the fireplace, as his siblings either stood or sat around them, forming a half-circle staring at Egbert. The gathering was quite nerve-inducing and made him feel as though an actor in front of a sold-out play at the Criterion. In any case, the show had to begin.

"I've called you all here today because I have some exciting news. It may be a tad surprising for you and I certainly understand your concerns. I will, of course, answer all your questions, but I must tell you that I'm quite looking forward to it and will not be persuaded into not doing it. Isaac and I, we've talked it over and we are sure we can manage it: we are moving to Sussex together to start a business."

The reactions could not have been more heterogeneous. His parents looked at each other, each asking the other who should say something first; Josephine was not that phased by it, having never been particularly close to her brother — if any particular feeling at all, the news had evoked some curiosity in her —; George felt sad, of course, but also had a sudden boost of joy upon hearing the news, feeling genuinely happy for Egbert that he had managed to achieve that; Hugh, who was in that phase of life where one hates everyone but oneself, wondered whether that meant George would move out of the bedroom they shared and take up Egbert's bed, better than his own, leaving him there by himself; and Lizzy, who did not understand most of what Egbert had said, only gathered that he was moving, and, to her 4-year-old mind, that equalled to losing him. Stil, one thing was common among all reactions: the silence. Egbert could understand — and, indeed, expected — the initial impact of the news driving them speechless, but he needed to hear something, as well, lest he go mad. As if reading through Egbert's expression, his mother asked.

"What business?" It was a short question, but at least it proved that he had been heard.

"A sheep farm."