Chapter 6

Max

We had found an expensive uptown restaurant nearby and I told her that it was my treat to her to take her out. The last few days had seemed to have taken its toll on her and I wanted to cheer her up by doing something outside in the city. She had told me that she was going to buy a new outfit to wear to dinner; she told me not to come as it was to be a surprise for me. I considered putting in effort by buying new clothes but I thought against it and thought I would be spending too much money on something I would only wear occasionally. I worried about her as she had refused to take a gun with her; however she did promise only to shop at the flush looking department store that we had passed earlier in the day, which I noted had well armed security guards outside. This planet was dangerous although not completely lawless. The Spaceport Authority territory included the area around the spaceport as well as inside it with no concrete line of where its laws ended. The further away from the port you went the more danger and the less guard patrols you would encounter. Still I eagerly awaited her return.

She arrived back to the ship with her a large shopping bag filled with clothes and told me she had brought the prettiest outfit. She disappeared to dress and emerged about half an hour later.

"So..." She said as she entered the main room of the ship and spun around so that the skirt that she wore lifted. "What do you think?"

She looked incredible. The first thing I noticed was that she wore different coloured eyeshadow so that it complimented both of her eyes beautifully. Her pleated skirt which ended slightly above her knee was a velvet purple and had a bright orange belt around her waist; underneath she wore long light green socks that came over her knees. She had high black leather boots with huge soles and tied with neon pink laces, to compliment them she wore a black jacket with purple shoulder pads over a shirt multicoloured mess of mismatched swirls. I had never seen her look so colourful and her mood seemed to reflect that she was. To me she appeared very cute and happy.

"Well..." She reminded me that I had not replied and cut off my gawking.

"You look very colourful." I told her. She tilted her head to me and raised an eyebrow as if waiting for a real complement. "You're adorable. I think you look amazing."

"Thanks, I am glad that you like it." She smiled.

"The gods have blessed you with incredible beauty." I told her.

She started to blush.

"Oh... thanks..." She said as her face became rosier, she looked to the floor to avoid my gaze. "You look quite..." She looked me up and down. "You are quite handsome looking."

I wore deep blue trousers with bright purple stripes down the seams at the sides, I had a black shirt with a light brown faux suede jacket.

"Thanks." I said with a smile.

"Are we ready?" she asked.

"We have a reservation in an hour. Yeah we should walk slowly."

We exited the ship and started off walking.

"Can I take your arm?" She said a few moments into our walk which made me realise that I had my hands in my pockets and took them out.

"Sure."

We began walking arm in arm. I felt comfortable but I kept wanting to think this was a date. We had not ever been out for a meal like this ever, it felt like forever ago that I had taken a woman out like this and it made me think back to when we showered together and my thoughts of her after. I was worried that we looked to much like a couple and that we might be attacked, I was unsure whether I had ever been to this place and was not entirely sure how different sexualities were viewed. Something about this place triggered something in my mind but I blamed it on a un-named condition that was responsible for my gaps of memory loss. My thoughts about this place became unruly until France made conversation on our surprisingly quiet stroll.