Chapter 5

France

I heard a knock on the door and without looking up from my book called Max in. She entered somewhat shyly and sat on the edge of her bed and waited for me to reach the end of my sentence.

"Hey." I said putting my book down on the side table.

I felt strangely nervous as I noticed her begin to feverishly scratch her wrist; without hesitation I took her offending hand in mine to stop her.

"Don't!" I playfully snapped at her.

She looked at me sweetly as she took back her hand and slowly rubbed her neck with the back of it.

"I think we need to-" She paused and thought for a second. "We should get separate rooms... now."

"Separate rooms? Okay, I see." I said trying to sound surprised, although I suppose I should have seen it coming.

"The captains chamber, or rather what was Evan's bedroom, is pretty big... and I thought as we..." She trailed off and coughed nervously. "You can have it."

I felt a strange emotion come over me, was she being nice or did she realise that she didn't want us to be in the same room as each other. I hadn't talked to her since a few hours before I slept, it seemed we were avoiding each other.

"You mean after the events of yesterday... you don't want to be room-mates any more?" I asked. "Fine then, great. Whatever." I realised my tone turned slightly sour.

"Hey come on. What do you expect me to do here?" She asked. "This vessel is huge just look at all the empty rooms. We don't need to share a bedroom." She told me before pausing. "And yes I don't want to sleep in the same room as you any more. I don't want to feel like I could do something that could cause us to fall out... I don't want to lose you as a friend."

Although she made a lot of sense I liked company and by splitting ourselves up across the ship I would feel as if I would see her a lot less. I liked to think of myself as a social person and even though I had felt my mood drastically deteriorate because of the death of everyone but ourselves I felt it would tank further if she was to force a distance between us it would upset me more so. I sat beside her and placed my arm around her shoulder.

"You a could never lose me as a friend." I told her. "Don't say that."

"I know." She said "I just know how I can be and I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable and push you away."

"I understand. You take Evan's room; you're the captain Max." I told her. "I'll get you to put these bed together."

"Okay I give in." She said at last. "Oh I'm the captain too now. Okay."

I helped her clean the room and re-dress the bed which was of our late captain, when I fitted the sheet on the bed she fell backwards upon it and stretched her arms.

"It's been a long time since I've reached out on a bed the size of this." She told me resting on her side. "Are you sure that you'd not prefer want this room?" She asked.

"I am... You...." I drew out as I laid beside her. "You said you'd fix my bed."

"I did." She said placing her hand on my hip. "Won't be this comfy though."

"Well I'll come and complain if I hate it." I laughed.

I had taken a shot of vodka to quell my emotions earlier and I felt slightly light headed, I turned on my side to face her and looked into her gorgeous eyes. I place my hand on her dark-ish smooth cheek and sighed, wondering if I let her have me what she would do.