Mother knows best

Katia let out a noise behind him and he turned to see her with hand pressed over her mouth, tears running down her face. The Doctor went over to her, pulling her into a tight hug. She buried her face in his chest, sobbing. Jack looked at them, guilt flooding through his body. What had he done?

"We've fixed the fence", Rose said, walking up with Nancy. She noted how the Doctor was hugging Katia and felt a stab of jealousy.

"Now we have a bigger problem", Nancy added "those people are coming our way".

"It's bringing the gasmask people here isn't it?" Rose asked, pointing to the red light on the panel.

"The ship thinks it's under attack. It's calling up the troops. Standard protocol", the Doctor explained, shifting his hold on Katia to look at the blonde.

"But...the gas mask people aren't troops..." the 19 year old frowned.

"They are now" the Time Lord corrected her "This is a battle-field ambulance. The nanogenes don't just fix you up, they get you ready for the front line. Equip you, programme you..."

"That's why he can do all those things", Katia mumbled, wiping her eyes.

"It's a fully equipped Chula warrior, yes" the Doctor nodded "All that weapons tech in the hands of a hysterical four year old looking for his mummy. And now there's an army of them".

The gasmask people surround the fence. "Why don't they attack?" Jack questioned, eyeing them.

"Good little soldiers, waiting for their commander", the Doctor replied.

"The child", the former Time Agent stated.

"Jamie", Nancy corrected him.

"So how long until the bomb falls?" Rose asked Jack.

"Any second", he answered looking up worriedly.

"What's the matter, Captain?" the Doctor looked at man "A bit close to the volcano for you?"

"He's just a little boy", Nancy breathed.

"I know", the Time Lord said softly.

"He's just a little boy who wants his mummy", Nancy said, tearing up.

"Jamie is your son, isn't he?" Katia spoke up, putting two and two together "you're the one he's been looking for". That had to be the only explanation as to why th boy was asking for his mother. He wouldn't say that if he was looking for his sister. Nancy tearfully nodded, confirming what she'd thought.

"Doctor, that bomb. We've got seconds", Jack warned as bombs landed nearby.

"You can teleport us out", Rose pointed out.

The man shook his head "Not you guys. The nav-com's back online. Going to take too long to override the protocols", he regretfully informed her.

"So it's volcano day" the Doctor stated "Do what you've got to do". The former Time Agent vanished. Rose stared where he once stood, shocked that he wouldn't at least try to save them.

The gate opens and Jamie stands there "Are you my mummy?" he asked.

"He's going to keep asking, Nancy. He's never going to stop", the Doctor said.

"Mummy?" Jamie asked again.

"Tell him. Nancy, the future of the human race is in your hands. Trust me and tell him", the Time Lord gently urged. Nancy took a breath and walked towards her son.

"Are you my mummy?" Jamie repeated.

"Yes. Yes, I am your mummy", Nancy confirmed.

"Mummy?" the boy considered the brunette.