Chapter 1: Originals Comeback

On October 22nd, in the southern state of Florida, also known as The Sunshine State, lies the city of Miami. This city is the proud home of the NBA's Heat, MLB's Marlins, and the NFL's Dolphins. Miami enjoys warm weather year-round, with cooler temperatures from December to March. The rainy season spans from mid-May to mid-October, while the dry season runs from mid-October to mid-May. Across from Miami is Miami Beach, famed for its sandy shores and the Art Deco architecture along Ocean Drive, which offers a stunning view at sunset. Notably, on the southwest corner of 8th Street and Miami Avenue stands the Abby Lee Dance Company, a dance studio with doors opening onto both Miami Avenue and 8th Street.

The studio features an entrance and exit complete with a bench, and a front desk situated near the door against red-painted walls. Opposite the desk is a fountain, accompanied by a computer and calendar. To the left, a hallway leads to the bathrooms and ends with an office furnished with a sofa, desk, computer, and four chairs. Adjacent to the front desk, a door opens to a foyer housing a vending machine, a staircase to an observation room, and three doors. The left door opens to Studio B, one of the three studio rooms. Next to the staircase, the Dancer's Den offers a space for dancers to relax between classes and rehearsals. The rightmost door leads to Studio A, the largest studio room at the Abby Lee Dance Company, which connects to Studios A, B, and C. Studio A boasts a gold brick wall with mirrors and the ALDC logo, Studio B features mirrors, silks, and a silver brick wall with "ALDC" in graffiti, and Studio C presents a red and white brick wall with a red ALDC logo. The observation deck, furnished with red benches, overlooks the studio rooms.

At the front desk stood a heavyset woman, approximately 47 years old, with brown hair and green eyes. She was dressed in a black t-shirt and black track pants. Her name was Abby Lee Miller, the chief choreographer, artistic director, and owner of the Abby Lee Dance Company. Beside her was a young woman, about 23, also with brown hair, named Gianna Martello, the assistant choreographer.

"Can you believe those mothers had the audacity to pull their daughters from the studio?" Abby inquired of her assistant choreographer.

"No," Gianna replied, "but at least two dancers on the team were smart and stayed."

A silver Lexus IS250 C Convertible pulled into the parking lot, driven by a 34-year-old woman with brown hair and gray eyes named Kayla Andrews. Beside her sat a 10-year-old boy with long jet-black hair and green eyes, Alexander, also known as Alex, her son and a dancer for Abby. Since Kayla first brought Alex to the studio at the age of two, he had become one of the studio's top dancers. Abby found something oddly familiar about Alex but couldn't pinpoint what it was, despite their growing closeness. Although Alex maintained a good relationship with Kayla, she had been less present at the studio and competitions due to her job commitments, even on weekends. However, Abby and her team, particularly Abby, had become a steadfast presence in his life, their bond resembling that of mother and son.

Moreover, Alex felt a peculiar warmth when he hugged Abby, a sensation he recognized but dismissed. Curiously, this warmth was absent when he hugged Kayla.

"Hello, Miss Abby. Hello, Miss Gia," greeted Alex, addressing his dance teachers.

"Hello, Alex," Abby replied with a smile.

"Hello there," added Gianna.

"I'm going to get ready," Alex declared, and Abby nodded in agreement.

The ten-year-old boy walked past the front desk into the Dancer's Den, where he saw five girls: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler, Sophia Lucia, Bella Hoffheins, and Kaeli Ware, along with their mothers Melissa Ziegler, Jackie Lucia, Marcia Hoffheins, and Gloria Hampton. Sophia, Bella, and Kaeli had joined the team after the original mothers, Christi Lukasiak, Holly Frazier, and Jill Vertes, staged a silent protest to reinstate Kelly Hyland and her daughters Brooke and Paige, leading to Chloe, Nia, and Kendall being with their own mothers while Abby brought in replacements. The mothers tried to persuade Melissa to join their protest, but she refused, leaving Maddie and Alex as the top dancers.