Chapter 3: Facing the Replacement Dancers

(Alex's costume for Mood: Snap front printed foil spandex baseball shirt with solid spandex and flat foil lycra trim with attached faux buttons and spandex track pants with printed foil spandex and flat foil lycra insets).

The following weekend, the Abby Lee Dance Company set off for Woodbridge, Virginia, arriving at Forest Park High School for the In10sity competition. Earlier that week, Abby learned that Maddie and Kendall's duet had been mistakenly awarded 2nd place instead of 1st due to a scoring error, which upset the dance teacher. Additionally, Abby announced that Chloe would start her routine with a standing back tuck, causing Christi to complain despite Alex's offer of assistance.

"All I'm saying is keep an eye on Studio Bleu," Abby warned Alex, the moms, and the girls before heading to their dressing room—a classroom repurposed for the competition. "You're familiar with the kids from Studio Bleu. Bella and Kaeli, who replaced everyone except Alex, Maddie, and Mackenzie, came from there to Miami. The Abby Lee Dance Company is competing under my name, so stay vigilant. Surpass them by being stronger, fitter, smarter, and sharper. I'm eager to see how much they've improved using my techniques."

"I'm looking forward to it as well, Miss Abby, even though Chloe and I are competing against them," Alex responded, earning a nod of approval from Abby.

"At least he's on board."

"Why would you share your techniques with another studio?" Kelly inquired.

"The reason is that you quit, and your kids were idle at home instead of being in the studio," Alex snapped back.

"He's correct," Abby affirmed, then gestured for Mackenzie to come over. "Mackenzie, you're up first. Make sure you execute every trick flawlessly, point your toes, and keep your legs straight. That's how you'll win. The pressure is on since you were victorious last week. I've always said, reaching the top is one thing, but staying there is another. Don't mess it up."

Mackenzie nodded, but it was clear from her expression that she was terrified.

"Mackenzie, you're not taking this seriously enough. Alex has always been serious about dancing," Abby stated, and a few minutes later, she escorted Mackenzie to the stage before joining the audience.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, in the Mini Soloist Division, please welcome Mackenzie with 'Dancing Barefoot.'" As the music began, Mackenzie started well, but she froze at one point, causing Abby to cringe. Nevertheless, she continued, struck a final pose, and exited the stage, followed by the mothers backstage.

"Are you okay, Mel?" Jill inquired of Melissa.

"Yes," Melissa replied. "She's not Maddie or Alex."

The girls, along with Alex, entered and sat down as Alex and Chloe prepared for their solos.

"How do you think you did, Kenzie?" Christi asked.

"I think I did well," Mackenzie responded, just as Abby walked in.

"Well, you got on stage and forgot your dance, looking like a deer caught in headlights," Abby said, mimicking a blank stare. "Let's discuss what went wrong, Mackenzie. You improvised your own dance at the end, which I didn't appreciate. Moreover, you were ahead of the music. I don't want to be harsh, but I had hoped to congratulate you on a dance well done, yet that's not what happened. You were supposed to be the top scorer in the under-eight category, but you went out there and made mistakes."

"I did," Mackenzie acknowledged.

"Yes," Abby said, turning to Melissa. "Clearly, Mackenzie isn't ready for a mature dance, and it seems we're left hoping for a miracle."