Chapter 12: Abby's Explanation and Telling the moms and girls

Alex fell silent, his gaze empty as he struggled to assimilate the revelation. His dance teacher was, in fact, his mother, which meant his true surname was Miller. His identity wasn't Alexander "Alex" Andrews; it was Alexander "Alex" Miller, making Maryen his grandmother. Overwhelmed, the 10-year-old couldn't utter a word as tears cascaded down his cheeks like rain.

"Alex, I—"

Abby's words were cut short as Alex bolted into the bathroom and shut the door behind him, leaving her with a sorrowful look, aware of the turmoil he was enduring.

Inside the bathroom, Alex collapsed beside the bathtub, curling up with his face buried in his knees, sobbing uncontrollably after learning that his dance instructor was his biological mother.

A knock echoed through the room.

"Alex," Abby called out, yet Alex continued to cry even as the dance teacher opened the door. "Alex, we need to have a talk."

The ten-year-old boy gazed at his mother, his face streaked with tears. "You're my mom, and I didn't know all this time?"

"Alex..." Abby sighed, trying to explain. "When I found out I was pregnant with you, I felt as if the stars had aligned for me, and I was thrilled at the prospect of motherhood. However, I also feared that I wouldn't be able to balance life at the dance studio with being a mother. So, my mother—your grandmother—and I asked Kayla to take care of you, and she did from the moment you were born. It was difficult for me to let you go, but it was for your well-being. Two years after you were born, Kayla brought you to my studio. For some reason, you and I grew closer as you grew older, especially as I taught you how to dance. The day Kayla brought you to the studio, I sensed something familiar, a connection that only grew stronger over time, but I couldn't quite understand it. A few years ago, she handed me that photo and instructed me to give it to you when the time was right. I've kept it hidden until now."

"But why would you give me up? Was it something I did?" Alex asked through his tears.

"No, it wasn't anything you did; I never wanted to give you up. I was just worried about balancing life as a dance teacher and a mother. But I truly want to make amends," Abby said, tears starting to fall. "Even though I did that, I never stopped thinking about you, never stopped loving you, and I was there for you whenever Kayla wasn't."

"I know it was hard for you, but I could never hate you for giving me up at birth because you did it for my well-being. I love you, mom," Alex reassured Abby, understanding her perspective. Even though she had given him up at birth, she had done it for his well-being. Embracing her, he buried his face in her shoulder and began to cry again, with Abby crying as well.

"I love you too, son," Abby sobbed, embracing her son as they both shed tears. Once the emotions settled, they moved to the living room and took a seat on the couch. "We have much to catch up on as mother and son, even though I've known you since birth, despite having given you up to Kayla."

"Yeah," Alex replied.

"Do you remember I mentioned living on View Road?" Abby inquired.

"Yes."

"The master bedroom with a balcony is mine, and there's another room with a balcony where you stayed during your visits. Would you like that to be your bedroom?"

"I would love that."

"That's wonderful to hear. Kayla will bring your belongings to my house when we return."

"Mom?" Alex addressed Abby.

"Yes, sweetheart?" Abby replied to her son, feeling an enduring warmth in her heart whenever Alex called her 'mom'.