Chapter 2: Dancing Voyage

Two days post-competition, Alex, the girls, and the moms gathered in Studio A. Abby stood by the pyramid, recapping the events. Sophia was absent, busy filming a movie scene.

"We traveled to Youngstown and we won," Abby declared. "As National Champions, that's expected. Now, onto the pyramid."

She unveiled the first image, Chloe's.

"Chloe, you need to focus on retaining choreography. A tip: write it down."

Christi found herself in rare agreement with Abby.

"Moving on..." Abby revealed Nia's picture. "...Nia, you failed to implement corrections. Remember, like Chloe, write it down."

"Next..." Mackenzie's image appeared. "...Mackenzie, kudos for the trio. Your solo part was amusing. Had they timed us, we'd have been disqualified. After 32 years, I won't accept disqualification. You'll only join group dances when suitable. Agreed?"

"Yes, Miss Abby," Mackenzie replied, and Abby nodded, then showed Paige's photo.

"Paige, you had a key role—the jump and tilt—which could've been spectacular, but it was merely passable. You had an opportunity and didn't capitalize on it."

Paige acknowledged with a nod before Maddie's headshot was displayed.

"Maddie, solid in the trio, and sporting the 'Sophia' look. Keep up that energy and those turns."

Melissa watched, sensing the immense pressure on Maddie, being likened to Sophia, aware of the other moms' sentiments.

"Kendall, you were at the forefront, and despite receiving corrections a hundred times, it's uncertain if you kept pace with Sophia."

As Kendall listened, the photo following hers was of Alex.

"Alex, your solo performance was outstanding, even though you placed second, and you also excelled in the trio," Abby said with a smile. The ten-year-old boy nodded in response, and the top photo was of Sophia. "Sophia takes the top spot! It's somewhat expected since she achieved the highest overall score in the 9 to 11 age group and clinched the entire competition."

The mothers were puzzled to see Sophia at the top of the pyramid despite her absence.

"This weekend, we'll be traveling to Greensboro, North Carolina, for the Dance Troupe competition," Abby declared as Kelly raised her hand.

"Since Brooke isn't on the pyramid, does this mean she's staying home this weekend?" Kelly inquired, noting Brooke's absence from the pyramid.

"What happened over the weekend, Brooke?" Abby asked.

"I was here on Friday and then went home. On Saturday, I visited a friend's house, and on Sunday, I worked on a project all day, so I missed rehearsal," Brooke explained.

"You're 14 and have been taking ballet since you were 6 or 7 years old."

"Abby, if Brooke has learned the dance with the group all week, why wouldn't she travel with us and perform?"

"Just because she's not traveling doesn't mean she won't be doing anything dance-related all weekend. She could still learn from Alex, who practices dance all weekend," Abby countered. "The group number is called 'Voyage Home,' a serious piece about immigrants, and everyone will participate except for Brooke and Mackenzie. Brooke, I want you to work on getting back into the group. Alex will perform a solo titled 'Who's Bad.' Mackenzie's solo is 'Lemonade,' Paige has a solo called 'I Wanna Dance,' and there's also a duet featuring Kendall and Maddie called 'Sugar and Spice.'"

As the week progressed, the dances were rehearsed. Brooke managed the music, which Kelly found disappointing. During Alex's solo rehearsal, Abby remained composed, as he was attentive and at ease with her. Melissa was slightly upset that Maddie didn't have a solo for the second consecutive week but kept her feelings to herself. Additionally, Alex assisted Mackenzie with her solo, with Abby's consent.

(Alex's costume for Who's Bad: Black jacket with buckles, white t-shirt and black slacks with white stripes on the side and loafers.)

Saturday dawned, and the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro, North Carolina, was abuzz with the Dance Troupe event. The Abby Lee Dance Company had just arrived. After a warm welcome from their fans, they retreated to their dressing room to prepare. Alex, Paige, and Mackenzie were up first with their solos, followed by Kendall and Maddie's duet, with the group performance scheduled thereafter.

"Girls, Alex, pay attention. See that line of people in the hallway? They're all here, excited to see you perform. Do you know why? Because you are the reigning back-to-back National Champions. It's time to step up, get focused, sort things out, and avoid any careless errors," Abby instructed.

"We understand you perfectly, Miss Abby," Alex assured her.

"Good," Abby acknowledged, confident in Alex's commitment to dance as if it were his last.

Once Alex, Paige, and Mackenzie completed their solo rehearsals, they moved to the stage wings, while Abby, Gianna, Maddie, Chloe, Nia, Kendall, and the mothers joined the audience.

"Up next, we have Mackenzie from the Abby Lee Dance Company with 'Lemonade'!" Mackenzie stepped onto the stage, and as the music began, she started her dance. Her solo was impressive, her back tuck outstanding, and her jumps soared high. At the music's end, Mackenzie struck a pose and exited the stage.

"Coming up, we have Alex from the Abby Lee Dance Company with 'Who's Bad.'" Alex entered the stage with a confident stride.

"Next is Paige from the Abby Lee Dance Company with 'I Want To Dance!'" The audience applauded as Paige made her entrance. When the music started, she danced, and despite a few flaws, she performed well in her solo. As the music concluded, Paige posed and joined the others backstage, leaving only Abby and Gianna.

"I think Kenzie, Paigey, and Alex did well," Christi remarked.

"Yeah," Melissa agreed.

"But Abby will have her comments," Kelly added. "I'm trying to stay on her good side this week, so I'm biting my tongue, which is quite difficult."

Christi laughed, followed by Kelly, as Alex, Mackenzie, and Paige came in, and shortly after, Abby and Gianna.

"Great job, girls, and Alex," Abby praised, then turned to Paige. "Paige, how do you think you did?"

"I think I did well," Paige replied.

"You were wonderful, and your solo was fabulous," Abby declared as Kendall and Maddie slipped into their duet costumes, and Alex, Paige, and Mackenzie donned their ALDC tracksuits before heading to the wings.

"From the Abby Lee Dance Company, please welcome 'Sugar and Spice' to the stage!" Maddie and Kendall appeared, and as the music played, they performed excellently. At the music's conclusion, they posed and left the stage, ready for the solo and duet awards, starting with the Level II solo announcements from 10th to 2nd place, with 1st place up next.

"In first place, Lemonade, Abby Lee Dance Company!" Mackenzie rose to receive her award from the announcer, while Melissa beamed with pride. The intermediate solo rankings continued, announcing places from tenth to fourth, with third place up next.

"Securing third place is I Want To Dance, Abby Lee Dance Company!" Paige collected her award, and after the second place was announced, it was time for first.

"The first-place winner is Who's Bad, Abby Lee Dance Company!" Alex stood up, accepted his award, and Abby was visibly thrilled, clapping and cheering with pride, joined by Gianna, the moms, and the girls. The duet/trio awards followed, with places from tenth to second being called out.

"Top score goes to Sugar and Spice, Abby Lee Dance Company!" Melissa and Jill celebrated as Maddie and Kendall retrieved their award. Backstage, the girls prepared for their group dance, while Alex watched before Abby entered.

"Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations," Abby said, then embraced Alex warmly, hugging him maternally. She kissed the side of his head. "You were excellent, Alex."

"Thanks, Miss Abby," Alex replied, as Abby smiled at him. Together with Mackenzie, Abby, Gianna, and the moms, they joined the audience.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting the Abby Lee Dance Company with Voyage Home!" Maddie, Chloe, Paige, Nia, and Kendall graced the stage. Their performance was stellar from start to finish, culminating in a final pose before exiting. In the group awards, they secured first place and then returned home to Miami.