Chapter 4: Facing the Candy Apples

(Alex's costume for Invincible Guy: Flat foil lycra and sequin spanded short sleeve top with attached cape and flat foil lycra and sequin spandex pants).

Monday came, and in the studio, Abby discussed the previous competition with Alex and the girls while the moms observed.

"I don't have much to say, except I want to see what fourth place looks like, but thank goodness for Alex," Abby stated plainly. "This weekend, we're heading to Voorhees, New Jersey to compete at On Stage America, and I will say this once—I do not want fourth place again."

The pyramid session concluded, and it was time for assignments. Four solos were distributed: Alex received 'Invincible Guy,' Nia got 'A Hundred Years From Now,' Kendall was given 'Owe You Nothing,' and Chloe's was titled 'Left In The Dark.' With that, rehearsals commenced.

The following day, during the break between classes, Alex and Gianna were seen with expressions of frustration as they searched for information. Abby walked in at that moment.

"Are you helping Gianna with the competition research?" Abby inquired of Alex.

"Yes," replied Alex.

"Is everything okay?" Abby asked, concern evident on her face upon seeing the troubled expressions of Alex and Gianna.

"I called On Stage America to ensure your routines were categorized correctly. I also inquired about the participating studios. They confirmed one from Miami, Florida, which is us, and mentioned another from Canton, Ohio. You know who that refers to," Gianna explained, alluding to the Candy Apples Dance Center in Canton, owned by Cathy Nesbitt-Stein, mother of Vivi-Anne.

"Cathy," Abby muttered angrily.

"Exactly, and it seems she's returning with vengeance in mind after our victory over her at last season's Nationals. We cannot afford to place fourth in their presence; they would never let us live it down," Gianna added.

"Yeah," Alex agreed.

Abby ascended to the observation room, informing the mothers that Candy Apples would be attending the competition, much to everyone's dismay. Throughout the week, when Alex wasn't rehearsing, he assisted Abby and Gianna in a fruitless search for Cathy's team members.

On the competition morning, Jill clashed with Abby because Kendall had forgotten her costume. At the front desk, Kendall, close to the exit, burst into tears, and Jill embraced her.

"I'm sorry, Kendall," Jill consoled her daughter. "I know it's not working, and I'm trying so hard."

After tensions eased, the group boarded a bus to Miami International Airport, flew to Voorhees, New Jersey, and took another bus to Voorhees Middle School. Abby was focused on one thing: defeating Cathy. She checked in her dancers and then headed to the dressing room, where Alex, Nia, Chloe, and Kendall prepared for their solos.

"I'm going to check on Cathy's new team; I'll be right back," Abby announced, leaving the room. Upon entering Cathy's dressing room, she was stunned to find five boys and their mothers. "Really?"

"Yes, really," Cathy confirmed, then introduced them. "Abby, meet Jalen Testerman, Brandon Talbott, Zack Torres, Gino Coscuella, Bryant Cullers, and their mothers Loann Testerman, Alicia Talbott, Gina Torres, Lauren Coscuella, and Veronica Culler."

"I'm aware of who Gino is; his older brother Kevin dances at my studio, and I also know Zack since he and his mother participated in AUDC," Abby replied before presenting some Abby Lee Dance Company t-shirts. "Take a look at these Abby Lee Dance Company t-shirts. As you know, we're consecutive National Champions from Miami, Florida."