Chapter 5: A duet gets pulled

(Alex's costume for Gonna Shine: Lined sequin red shard pattern spandex tank with foil lycra trim and pants).

The following weekend, the Abby Lee Dance Company headed to Detroit, Michigan, to the Cobo Center for the WILD Dance Intensive, a competition associated with Starpower. Chloe and Christi were absent, having been suspended due to Christi's altercation with Abby at the last competition. Meanwhile, Nia and Paige's duet was uncertain due to Nia's battle with Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy (RND), which caused amplified pain symptoms in her right foot, a situation that Holly had been confronting Abby and Alex about. Once again, they were set to compete against Cathy's all-boys team, with Gino performing a solo, and the team also featured a girl named Ayla, the sole female member of Cathy's group.

As Abby, Alex, and their crew arrived in the van, a stretch limo carrying the Candy Apples pulled up behind them.

"Did you all travel on the idiot plane from the airport and in the idiot van?" Cathy mocked. "You know it doesn't get any worse than that."

"Cathy, go to he-double hockey sticks!" Abby retorted loudly.

"It's no surprise that no teams from Ohio have won championships lately! On the other hand, we've recently celebrated a victory with the Miami Heat clinching the NBA title against the Oklahoma City Thunder in five games!" Alex boasted.

"Who are we?!" Jalen yelled.

"Apple Core, Apple Core, Apple Core!" chanted the boys and Ayla, while Abby was explaining the boys' origins.

"What's your point?" Loann demanded of Abby. "Are you claiming that every dancer from your studio began and ended their training there, without ever dancing elsewhere?!"

"Exactly!" Abby retorted.

"Well, I rest my case. I bet that long-haired boy on your team couldn't outdance any of these boys!"

"You might want to rethink that; competitions can be quite unpredictable," Alex interjected.

"Who asked for your opinion, little boy?"

"Let's just go to our dressing room," Alex suggested, leading Abby, the moms, and the girls away. "Miss Abby, encountering Cathy before a competition is always risky, given her penchant for causing trouble."

"You couldn't be more correct," Abby murmured.

"Why did we let her into the studio?" Alex inquired of Abby as they, along with the moms and girls, entered the dressing room.

"I'm not sure, but I'm seriously regretting the day I allowed Cathy into my studio," Abby confessed.

"I need to tell you what Jackie said—" Melissa began before the dance teacher interrupted her.

"Just so you're aware, I'm the reason Jackie isn't here; I sent her away."

"To leave so abruptly is neither professional nor reliable, and we didn't truly leave since we were in your parking lot," Holly interjected.

"Actually, everyone left except for Kayla. At least she had Alex in the studio, even if her job kept her from being there with him," Abby asserted to Holly. "It's fine by me if Nia goes alone."

"When I sent her alone last season, you criticized me endlessly, and I was beyond upset," Holly remarked.

"Will these moms ever be quiet?" Alex muttered, clearly annoyed by the moms.

"I wish those mothers would be quiet. I think Nia is immature; she needs to grow up and stop running to her mother," Abby bluntly responded as Holly grew increasingly hostile towards her.