Chapter 9: Arrival of a new dancer

Over the span of two weeks, the Abby Lee Dance Company participated in two competitions. First, they attended the POWERHOUSE competition in Cincinnati, Ohio, an event affiliated with In10sity. Being in Ohio meant a likely encounter with the Candy Apples. In the Junior Solo Division, Jalen placed 6th, Alex 3rd, Kendall 2nd, and Maddie 1st. Despite Alex's 3rd place, Abby was proud of him, just as she was of Maddie and Kendall. In the duet/trio category, Chloe and Paige clinched 1st place. The group category saw the Candy Apples in 2nd place, with Abby's girls taking 1st, to her joy and Cathy's disappointment.

The following week, Abby invited Rachelle Rak, a Broadway veteran from Flashdance, to choreograph a group number inspired by Bob Fosse. Brooke was excused from the team for that week. Meanwhile, Melissa disclosed her secret marriage. At the Xpressions competition in Grand Rapids, in the Junior Solo Division, Kendall took 3rd, Alex 2nd, and Chloe 1st. Chloe's 'rock on' gesture upon exiting the stage did not please Abby. Maddie and Mackenzie's duet won 1st place in their division, and the group also secured 1st place. Additionally, the bond between Abby and Alex continued to grow stronger.

It was January 28th, and in Studio A, Abby was discussing the previous competition with Alex and the girls. As the pyramid session concluded, Alex noticed an additional photo displayed above it and raised his hand to inquire.

"Yes, Alex?" Abby prompted.

"Miss Abby, I've noticed there's an extra photo on the pyramid. Do we have a new team member?" Alex speculated.

"Ding ding ding! Correct!" Abby announced, unveiling the photo of a fierce-looking seven-year-old girl with brown hair named Asia Monet Ray, a participant in Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. "Everyone, meet your new teammate, Asia Monet Ray. She competed in my Ultimate Dance Competition last summer, and her mother has signed the same contract as yours. They'll be with us for the season, and who knows, they might join the team next season too. Asia wants to learn here, and Alex, you and Maddie have already met her when you were invited to perform a duet at my Ultimate Dance Competition. To be honest, we don't feel you challenge each other enough since there's no competition among you. At least Alex and Maddie push each other to become better dancers. And Moms, don't even think about driving Asia and her mother away, or there will be trouble."

The girls wore excited expressions, while Mackenzie harbored a nervousness within, fearing Abby might replace her.

"Furthermore, we're heading to Highland, Michigan, and I discovered this morning that those Rotten Apples, led by the Wicked Witch of the West, will be there," Abby announced. "The group routine, titled 'Return to Grace,' will include everyone except Mackenzie and Asia. There's a trio featuring Maddie, Chloe, and Kendall called 'We Believe,' and Alex has a solo named 'Cool,' because he's been cool in my heart, and in your hearts too, Moms. Now, you may leave, and Alex, girls, start warming up."

(Alex's costume for Cool: Utility jacket with elasticized cuffs, front zipper closure, holigram stripe detailes, high-low hem, crewneck shirt and pants)

As the week progressed, Wednesday brought news from Abby to Melissa about preserving Broadway Baby. The following day, just two days before the competition, Alex, the girls, and their mothers were anticipating the arrival of Asia and her mother, while Abby manned the front desk.

"Who's ready to meet the new kid?" Kelly inquired.

"I think Kenz is," replied Melissa.

"Alex and I have already met her, so we're prepared," Maddie chimed in.

Alex echoed, "Exactly what she said."

"I'm eager to meet Asia and see what she adds to the team," Jill declared. Despite her curiosity about Asia joining the team and the girls' excitement to meet her, Jill believed the studio did not need another dancer or mother.