18.BREACHED

18 BREACHED

     "AND I JUST DID IT, IT- IT WAS DIFFERENT THAN KILLING WALKERS

    "AND I JUST DID IT, IT- IT WAS DIFFERENT THAN KILLING WALKERS."

Jackie was cuddled up to his mother, his body on the edge of the single bed Bonnie rested. It was a day later since the attack on Alexandria.

"I'm sorry that you had to do that, baby." Bonnie said, her voice still weak. "There are people that are out to get us. It's us or them. You did the right thing. If you hadn't done it, we wouldn't be here."

Bonnie Everett had never imagined that telling her son that killing certain people was okay. But he needed to know.

"Back when Rick killed Ron's dad, he deserved it, right? Cause he was hurting Ron's mom?" Jackie asked, his head was propped on her shoulder and his fingers lightly played with the ends of her hair.

He needed to learn, Bonnie told herself. "We don't allow others to hurt our loved ones. Jessie, Ron and Sam are our friends, and we protect our friends."

"I will always protect you." Jackie softly stated. From this day, Jackie could confidently say, that if someone tried to harm his family, he'd kill them.

A knock sounded out. Rick carefully peeked inside the room. "Mind if I talk to your mom?" He asked Jackie.

"Sure." Jackie climbed off the bed. "I'll go find Carl."

Jackie exited the room and Rick sat down on Bonnie's bed.

"Hey." She smiled weakly.

"Hey." Rick tried to sound calm, but his eyebrows slightly wobbled.

She saw the dark rings around his eyes, his clothes still dirty from when he was out luring the herd away. That was yesterday. "Have you had any sleep?" Bonnie asked.

Rick clenched his jaw and shook his head.

Bonnie slipped her palm into his, "Talk to me."

Rick took her palm with both of his hands, playing with her fingers, he said, "I wasn't here."

"Rick-"

"I wasn't here, Bonnie. You could've-, you almost died. I almost lost you and I wasn't here." His eyes seriously bore into hers.

"It was not your fault, Rick. We can't possibly be together all the time." She said grimly.

"I love you." Rick said, his eyes on hers.

"I love you too, Rick." She sent him a genuine smile.

He didn't smile, though. "And I know that we can't always be together, but I want to be with you every second we can be." He let go of her hand. His hand went down and dug around the front pocket of his jeans. "So, I don't know if this means anything in this world but..."