18. Moon coma

Daniel's POV

Today is our daughters' 9th birthday. Our isolated life robbed my girls from having friends so all their celebrations were with us. Me and Gabby tried to compensate for that by trying to make every birthday unique and special.

We found a spot on the beach where the seacoast was narrow and the forest was very close to the sea. It was perfect for our girls. Gabriella and Selene are currently there preparing for our little celebration and I am chasing the girls trying to dress them up. I am losing the battle of course, and I can't even be annoyed with the girls, they are so joyful.

After a couple of hours of chasing Jasmine and Lorelei, we were ready to go find their mom and aunt Selene. When we reached the spot, it was already late afternoon and the sun was on the other side of the forest. The place was decorated with lights, and there was a playground.

As soon as the girls saw the scene, they started jumping up and down, squealing in excitement. Gabriella came to us and the twins jumped in her arms.

"Do you like it, baby girls?"

"Yes, mommy, it's perfect!" they both said in unison.

"Happy birthday, girls" I said. "Go and enjoy the playground"

The girls ran excitedly and started playing, I hugged Gabby and kissed her. She gave me the perfect gift - the perfect family. The girls were running around enjoying themselves, Selene joined them too. We sat down on the blanket on the sand and Gabby leaned her head on my shoulder and I let out a sigh of contentment. We enjoyed the view of our happy pups and although the future wasn't certain and we still didn't know what is coming, in moments like these we felt happy. I loved my family and wouldn't change it for anything! 

When the dawn came, Gabby called the girls.

"It's time for your presents, baby girls. Are you ready?" Gabby told them

"Yes" they squealed and started jumping up and down. I swear their excitement was so contagious that even though I knew what their presents were, even I felt excited to see what was in the boxes.

We gave the girls their presents, we got them each a drawing toolkit because they both loved drawing. Lorelei prefered charcoal and Jasmine - painting. We got them both a karaoke because they loved singing and they had angelic voices.

"I have one more present for you, girls." Gabby said and that got their attention again

"Actually, this gift is for you and daddy" She continued and that got me confused. I don't remember us buying anything else for the girls.

Again, the girls' excitement got me eager, too. Gabby gave each of us a little box. We opened the boxes and there was something that looked like a weird looking pill, mine was bigger than the girls'. Underneath it, there was a note saying "Put me in water". At this point I was really confused and so were the twins but Jasmine ran to the sea excitedly, as she saw an opportunity to play in the water.

Lorelei and I followed her and we threw our 'pills' in the water. As soon as we neared the sea, the waves calmed and we saw the pills morph into a fabric. They soon started to look like t-shirts. I took them and gave the girls theirs, looking at mine confused.

There were letters on every t-shirt. Girls' said 'Best big sis' and mine said 'Daddy of three'. My eyes widened and I looked in Gabby's eyes for confirmation.

"Are you... are we..." somehow I found it hard to form a sentence.

"I am pregnant" Gabby said

"Are we going to be big sisters to a new baby, mommy?" Lorelei asked