Chapter 6

thalia decided to visit her uncle tom again that night, and once again sat in his office till late at night. it was just a meaningless chat- trying to spend time with him before his time was up. she could see it was coming closer, day by day. his breath was wheezy, and his cough was more persistent and frequent. she had made many trips downstairs for more water by the time she had to go. 

"uncle tommy, i'm starting to think this mission might be impossible," she whispered into his shoulder as they embraced.

he rested his wrinkled hands on her slim shoulders, a sort of bittersweet smile on his face. "it all comes down to the pilot in the box, gracie. nothing is impossible."

"so you can get better again, right? the doctors said it was impossible, but if nothing's impossible, you can be ok again?" desperation was evident in her blue eyes as they scanned his face.

his sad smile remained. "that's not up to me, sweetheart. some things, whilst not impossible, aren't meant to be. it's my time soon."

tears traced thalia's freckled cheek as she nodded, resigned. he had shattered her last bit of hope. "i'm not sure when i can come again, but the second there's a change, call me, or get auntie sarah to. please." 

he leant down to type his reply, his throat tired from his attempts to speak. of course. 

she kissed his cheek before swiftly exiting his office, trying to hold in her tears as she made it to her motorbike.

more tears clouded her vision as she almost flew through fightertown, making it back to base in less than ten minutes. thalia knew she had been speeding, but at this point couldn't care less as she all but ran from the garage to the barracks.

---------

the common room was packed as she ducked her head, trying to avoid being seen but to no avail.

"fireball! why the rush?" hangman questioned as he threw an arm around her shoulders.

she let out no verbal response, instead ducking behind his arm, grabbing it and twisting it behind him. he struggled in her grip for a moment, before going still.

"do not test me right now, sersin."

he nodded silently, and she let go, racing out the room, ignoring the shouts of her concerned friends and teammates that followed behind.

when she made it to her room, thalia locked the door behind her, and slid down it, letting the tears pour down her face as she let out a scream of frustration at the world. she rolled up her right sleeve, staring down at the rows of neat silver scars before pulling a swiss army knife out of her pocket and adding to them.

blood beaded down her arm, and the young pilot hissed in pain before drawing another line, and another, and another, until both her arm and the blade were slick with blood.

someone hammered on the door and thalia swore under her breath, and called out "one second!"

she paid no mind to the crack in her voice, instead running to the bathroom and wiping the blood away. she slid a tubular bandage on over her fresh cuts and rolled her sleeve back down.

 tears still marked her cheekbones, and thalia knew she must look a mess, but she didn't care anymore. whoever was at her door was still knocking, and the girl walked back through and opened the door to see rooster, phoenix and bob outside, with matching looks of confusion.

"what the fuck was that, fireball?" bradley interrogated, pushing his way into her room.

"bradley, this was not what we agreed!" bob hissed back at his friend, narrowing his eyes at rooster's insensitivity.