Yellow Fever

Introduction

It started on a warm, sunny summer evening, and I was busy splitting my fair share of dinner with my sister, Lucy. Mother was at the market getting a bushel of carrots to make soup. Mother had the best soup in town, and I smiled at the thought of my rather delicious future.

......As so I thought.

We had now finished dinner and my kitten, Puff, had fallen asleep in his usual place at the window. I was glad he was here to protect us, since the only reason mother let me keep her was to 'kill the rats'. One of it's eyes opened at the sound of hoovebeats advancing from a distance. I ran out to greet them while Lucy washed the dishes, giving a friendly little "Hello" to it's rider. But little did I know that I was about to hear the worst news I'd hear in my life.

Chapter 1

"Ma'am!" I heard the voice of Mr.Thompson, who was always a good friend of my family long as I could remember. "I'm so sorry, Missus Anna...I-I." He sounds out of breath, but in a great panic.

"What is it Mr. Thompson?" My voice shook. Mr.Thompson was always so calm, and it distressed me to see him in this state, which he only rarely had.

"Anna...You're mother is dead." That did it.

"Dead....no sir, you must be mistaken, she just left to go to the market and we were gonna make us some soup tomorrow. It can't be her!" I looked to the dirt.I felt Lucy standing beside me, crying.

"Anna," He got down from his horse,"You're mother," He paused,"Was very very sick, and it came very sudden. She had yellow fever."

"But yellow fever hasn't reached our town yet!"