Blood

It's late

The wind whips through the overgrown grass, sends chills through a vacant barn, blistered and breaking under the weight of time...And there's a girl, sitting wedged in it's corner, her small frame shivering from the cold and misty air. There's mold everywhere. In the hay, growing up the waterlogged walls, the horse blankets... just everywhere. There's a family of rats.

And then I see it.... The Swastikas. Everywhere.

I tear the pages apart until they are all on the ground in shredded clusters. They are stained red with blood. My blood. I look down to see that the cuts in my hands have opened up again. I lower myself into a chair to get a closer look at my hands.

"Calm down", I tell myself,"They can't find you, oh, they can't possibly find you..."

It can't be true. It can't be. They were just here only an hour ago.

But it is.

They're gone. They're gone, and it's all because of me.

My bandages are stained dark with the blood.

I slowly unbind them from my hands, revealing the knife gashes that are riddled across the creases of my fingers, and a large, bloody line that sliced down one of my wrists. Curse those devils of men.

They did this to me. They did this to me, my family, everyone. And now they've taken them away from me, too.

Tears come to my eyes at the thought of this. My family was all I had left. I can still see the horror in my mother's eyes as they slammed my sister to the wall. And my father's face when she didn't get up. She was just a little girl. She was seven years old.

I smear the tears away from my eyes angrily; I don't want to cry because of the men with the black and red flags and the shiny leather boots. I slowly stand up against the wall in the corner and gaze out the window where the barn is. Why is there sunshine in a tenebrous time like this?

White noise fills my ears as I bend over to pick up my leather backpack. I turn it over in my hands, hoping the food I had would still be in it. But it's empty. Of course. I run my fingers through my frizzy hair and sigh. I must look like a mess.