Them

She smiled wickedly, her hands clenched into tight, red fists. I backed away slightly so as to run away, but she followed me still, her smiling grimace seemingly unwavering. But then I tripped on tree root, falling in a heap in the dirt and dead leaves. "I just don't get it! Why won't you just leave me alone...Why can't I just be..." I gazed down at my bloody hands, at the crimson lines spattered all the way down to my elbows.

I heard her heels crush the leaves behind me, drawing closer and closer.

Then I felt her long, red-painted nails dig into my shoulder blades, cutting through my skin like daggers. She began to laugh, mockingly, before she said, "Oh, you poor, stupid creature, did you ever really think you could live free? Out here? Your ignorance...It astonishes me! But then, how much could I have expected from a poor scum like you? Ah, I forget myself sometimes..." and then she began to trail off into that horrible, high-pitched laugh of hers once more. I kicked her, leaving her in a pretty little pile before racing off into the darkness of the forest.

And for her to think she could catch me. For anyone who did.

I found it quite funny, to be able to escape from their grasp, to beat their silly little system for all these years, yet they still seemed more intent than ever to turn me into one of them.