⏤Chapter Six

**This chapter contains references to sexual abuse. Please proceed with caution.**

⏤⏤⏤❀⏤⏤⏤

I sat, knelt in the corner of the church as streams of people made their way into the room for prayers. Winchester was holding a celebration. The battle at Cynuit had been won and the young Odda had claimed victory of Ubba of the Danes.

When news arrived at Winchester of the young Ealdorman's feat I was bewildered. I had seen Ubba before when I was young. He was large and a fierce fighter. His name held much glory, and not without good reason. Odda on the other hand was such a slight and large-headed fellow. His skill with a weapon was not much more advanced than that of a novice swordsman and I had a hard time imagining him winning a fight against the Viking.

Now all of Winchester desired to celebrate with prayers, but I struggled to settle my heart enough to pray. Uhtred was not among any of the men who returned from Cynuit and Father Beocca had been convinced he had been slaughtered with the hostages at Werham as the young Odda had told Mildrith the night she fled.

My eyes skimmed the kneeling crowd. The smell of incense was so heavy in the air that it tickled my nose. I tucked my fingers beneath my shins and squeezed my eyes shut, willing myself to focus and try to pray.

Just as my mind felt like it would settle, there was a commotion outside the door. Heavy footsteps neared the closed entry and urgent shouting followed. I clasped the small cross that hung from my neck and swiftly stood, my eyes skimming the room for something that could be used for defense.

The doors swung open and the crowd around me turned to see the reason for this disturbance. I looked up to see Uhtred standing in the middle of the room with a distraught Beocca behind him. My brother looked angry as his eyes skimmed the room until they landed on Alfred who stood. I quickly noticed the sword strapped to my brother's back and I winced. The crowd stood and observed Uhtred, surely noting the weapon as well.

"Forgive me, but I am told that you believe me dead?"

Beocca's gaze fell to the floor in solemn defeat, "Uhtred, this is not the time."

"Father Beocca here believe me dead," Uhtred continued. "And yet just days ago I was at Cynuit with Lord Odda."

My eyes traveled to the young Odda who crossed his arms, nerves becoming his countenance.

Uhtred stepped toward Alfred, "It was Lord Odda and I who devised our battle plan. Did the boy not say?" He gestured to the younger Odda.

"Uhtred, stop now," Beocca chided.

This time Uhtred stepped toward Odda, "Perhaps you'd like to speak now?" Lady Ælswith leaned into the young Odda and commanded that he say nothing. "Perhaps you would like to describe Ubba's death," Uhtred shouted.

Beocca raised his voice to contend with Uhtred's, "Lord, I would like to invite the Ældorman here to join us, in giving thanks and prayer."

My brother turned to the priest, wide-eyed. "Giving thanks for what? For victory? For the death of the pagan?" He mocked. "Who do you think killed the pagan?"

"I cannot save you," Beocca muttered.

Uhtred turned back to Alfred, "I fought Ubba, man-on-man, and I killed him!" His temper was rising and I could tell that this was escalating to something more than it should have been. "It was his axe against my sword, this sword!" Uhtred reached back and unsheathed his blade to make a show of what he was saying, "Is there any man here who will deny it?"

At the emergence of a wielded weapon, the guard drew their own and rushed to meet Uhtred in the middle of the room. "Be still! Everyone be still and be silent," Alfred commanded. He stepped toward Uhtred with an unforgiving expression. "I have heard enough. You have said enough. This is not seemly," Alfred continued. "Now sheath your sword and remember where you stand."