Chapter 40

The cold air nipped at everyone as the legion of mages, soldiers and templars traversed the broken path to the Temple of Sacred Ashes. Most of them quiet with hints of whispers among them, wondering if this would succeed. However a certain red haired mage ignored it all. Kayla barely ate anything, too nervous to even think of eating. She was lucky the tea stayed down.

"You got this, cookie." The dwarf rogue said, hands behind his head.

"Her mark is stronger but we should be cautious." Solas stolled over, walking in line with the both of them. "I'm impressed that you got the support of the mages. They should be able to seal the Breach. I've only heard a little from the advisors. You are certain you experienced time travel in your quest? Could it have been an illusion, a trick of the Fade?"

"It felt too real to just be a trick." Kayla said, feeling the waves of nausea the closer up the mountain they went. She didn't want to be reminded of that future.

"Point taken, we may never know." Solas leaned his head curiously.

Kayla bit her lip, deciding to bring up a question that was on her mind. "I'm surprised you're not more interested in what we saw..."

"I know enough. If that future happened, then I–and Cassandra, Cullen, and the rest–failed to stop this Elder One."

She gripped her staff tightly, knowing the other elf was correct. Though the tone change in Solas' voice when he said Cullen made her feel uneasy.

"This Elder One. You have now interfered with his plans twice. Once at the Temple of Sacred Ashes... and now again at Redcliffe. A being who aspires to godhood is unlikely to ignore such an affront." Solas said.

"I n-never asked for any of this."

"Very few of us ever do. Excuse me, I must oversee the mages to see that they are ready for you. I will try to make this as smooth as possible." Solas glanced back with a ghost of a frown before leaving.

Kayla walked slower, waiting for him to be out of eye sight before letting out a breath she held. Her stomach felt heavy being this close to the Breach. Last time she was here, a demon was summoned. What could come through, tempted by so many mages in a single location.

"Don't let Chuckles get you down. Despite everything, you've proven yourself." Varric tilted his head and grinned.

"There you are, lethallan. Varric. Sorry we didn't catch up earlier."

Ellana and Fenris hurried over, joining the red haired mage. Kayla smiled briefly, at least she had family nearby this time.

"I kept an eye on her." Varric said.

"How are you feeling?" Fenris asked this time, patting Kayla on the head.

"I'm not sure how to feel." Kayla fidgeted with the leather of her coat. "It's so d-daunting and I'm not sure it will work..."

"We just have to believe. Faith in a better future requires some walking into the unknown." A woman's voice chuckled from behind them, revealing it to be the older mage, Ramona.

"It just seems like so much..." Kayla replied, shaking her head. "Are you helping with the mages too?"

"Of course, I may only have an affinity for healing but I can still supply my mana." Ramona laughed, "Can't have all the young ones getting all the credit."

"Then at least us old farts can take a break." Blackwall said, joining with a brief laugh of his own. "Still, Lavellan, you should be proud. Not many would do what you did. Especially standing up to a Queen to do it too."