Chapter 6

A couple of days later, Natasha had to leave to sign the accords and go to Peggy Carter's funeral to support Steve. Bruce offered to go with her.

"Are you sure you want to go," Natasha asked while walking into her living area where Bruce was waiting in a suit similar to what she knew Steve was wearing. His curls were tamed and he had his hands in his pockets.

Natasha was wearing a black outfit and coat. Instead of wearing the green stone necklace, she was wearing the one Bruce made her. She put her bag with her other clothes on the floor near Bruce's.

"Yeah," he answered in almost a whisper. "I've been in his shoes and I want to offer any support I can."

She didn't have the words for that and ducked her head. Bruce gently lifted her face by her chin using his finger. The look in his eyes could only be described as adoration with enough power to take her breath away.

"He'll be okay," Bruce continued.

"What do you mean," she asked with confusion in her voice. "Did he get back together with Sharron?"

The last time she saw Steve he still wasn't over Peggy, but he had a thing for Sharron Carter at one point.

Bruce hesitated before answering, "Before I was sent here, Steve was in charge of sending the stones back. He did, but he also went back to 1949 to be with Peggy. The last time I saw him he was older and still wearing his wedding ring. He gave his shield to Sam."

"And Bucky?"

Bruce shook his head then said, "He stayed in 2023."

Natasha sighed heavily. She knew she was ready for him to tell her what happened after her death.

"What else happened after I jumped?"

Bruce told her everything. From him snapping, to Thanos and past Nebula, everyone who was in the battle, losing Tony, and Steve returning back to his time and giving Sam the mantle of Captain America.

"You kept all of that to yourself for a year," she asked softly.

"Yeah," he said quietly while wringing his hands together.

She could tell that a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders and she told him, "You can breathe now, Bruce."

He nodded, and she walked up to him and hugged him. She felt his arms tighten around her and she knew he felt relieved that he had finally told her.

_____

After the funeral Natasha walked up to Steve with Bruce a few paces behind her. Her friend looked so broken standing there alone, even as he turned to face her.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone," Steve said. "Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too," Natasha said, knowing all too well how it felt.

"Who else signed?"

"Tony, Rhodey, Vison."

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired."

"Wanda? Pietro?"

"TBD. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the accords. There's plenty of room on the jet," she said, hoping to change his mind. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?" There was a pause then he continued, "I'm sorry Nat, I can't sign it."

"I know."

"Then what are you doing here?"

"I didn't want you to be alone," she said, then gave him a hug.

When they parted, Bruce walked up and said, "Steve, I'm so sorry."

Steve nodded and asked, "Are you signing too?"

Bruce shook his head then said, "No."

"What if they make you retire?"

Bruce shrugged then answered, "I had my life turned upside down when I became the Hulk. If I need to retire, then I'll retire."

"I go wherever he goes," Natasha added. "Accords or none."

"I know it's all a little crazy right now, but you two deserve a win."

"Thanks," she replied. "You gonna be okay?"

Steve nodded. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry. I know how much she meant to you," Natasha said before leaving, her hands finding Bruce's arm as they walked out. She put her head on his shoulder as they left and he kissed the top of her head.

Once they reached the jet, Natasha looked up to see Bruce's face and saw the pain he was trying to mask. She knew he was fighting his own memories of when she didn't come back with Clint.

"Bruce?"

He turned to look at her with grief written on his face and said, "The day you didn't come back was one of the worst days of my life. As happy as I am now, it's times like today when everything hits at once."

She stopped walking, halting him in the process, then cupped his face and said, "I'm right here."

Bruce nodded and she kissed him softly, then hugged him to her. Natasha wanted to take his pain away, but even she couldn't reassure him that she would be okay.

When they parted, he looked a bit better and she put his hand to her heart to reassure him that she was still here.

"I adore you," he told her. His eyes giving away his love and devotion.

"I adore you too," she told him, unable to keep her voice from giving away her emotions.

Note: I went down the "Bridgerton" rabbit hole, and now I am eagerly awaiting Colin and Penelope's story. Anyone else watch that show?